SAHM's How do you manage housework?

I have a almost 2 year old and almost 4 year old boys... its really hard for me 2 keep my house cleaned up/organized, What have you found that is easiest/good for you for housework?

ktidwell

Asked by ktidwell at 3:27 PM on May. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Poorly! I have 4 kids and a husband to pick up after. It's much harder for me because i have dialysis three times a week. It really sucks to feel like crap most of the time, and not be able to clean your home. I absolutely have my home. Its messy and its ugly. Can't wait to move into a nicer home!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:40 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Hate not have.
    soonmommyof3

• :) Ive learned to let it go. Im not saying its gross like there is mold growing in my kitchen sink... But a little dog hair on the floor & dishes in the sink never killed anyone!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 3:48 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Well, my son is only 8 months old, so I do it when he's napping. Matter of fact, he's asleep now and the only reason I'm on here is because I just finished my housework. If nothing else, I try to squeeze it in 5 minutes at a time while he's in his bouncy seat or playing in his crib. It isn't easy though, and I know how exhausting it can be.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:55 PM on May. 23, 2010

• It's difficult! I have an 8 year old and a 2 year old. My house looks like a tornado went through it. After they go to bed I straighten up. I try to keep picked up, but really, time with my boys is more important than a clean house. But I have added a "helping hand" chart for the boys so when they help keep picked up they get a hand for the day. It has helped to cut back on their clutter in the living room. And they love to get their treats after the fifth hand!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:58 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Kiwi cleans up after herself. Dishes in the sink, trash in the can, toys picked up. She's been doing it since she was big enough to walk (she only uses plastic dishes, a little clumsy!). And she is my little helper monkey, and enjoys helping right now, so she's not really in the way. Plus, she gets an allowance for her chores and is doing extra chores right now to earn extra money because she's saving for the new Tinkerbell movie this fall. Both of your kids are old enough to help and if they can't do that, at least clean up after themselves. Kiwi puts her clothes in the basket, but when we had a washer, she just put them in there, and she puts her own clothes away. If you can get the kids to take care of their own stuff, you will only have the basics to do.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:06 PM on May. 23, 2010

• My DD who is almost 2 cleans up her toys in her room and in the living room. She also helps me sweep and vaccuum as well as put the laundry into the baskets and then into the washer and the dryer. I now have her helping me put it away in her room. I love that I have a little helper at this age. I know it won't last for long but I do what I can. I also work from home full time and I do it when I have down times in the day with work.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:13 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Well, my daughter is 22 months, so while she throws her toys everywhere . . . she's not really that messy. I clean up her toys like 3-4 times a day. She's really starting to help. I do dishes and any kitchen cleaning while she's eating. The bathrooms, I clean every other day, so they take only a couple of minutes. She loves helping to swiffer the floors and empty the dishwasher. The upstairs can be difficult to clean though, because as I'm cleaning, she's ripping all of the clothes out of the drawers and whatnot....that's irritating. I try to clean all the rooms other than hers while she's sleeping either in the morning or at night. Nap time is my time. I work out, have a peaceful interruption-free lunch while surfing the net. The basement is the mancave and my husband is completely responsible for that area...but my daughter is rarely down there, so all of the mess down there is his anyway.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:17 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Well I have 6 children and all of them are responsible for keeping their own rooms clean. My husband likes things clean just as much as me but that doesn't mean the house is always perfect. I found that I used to clean up after my kids and it as a never ending job. When I started making them clean up things like toys, coloring books, clothes on their floor, they quickly realized they didn't like it that much!! So now they think twice before getting something out!! It should be a whole family affair including the husband!!
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 4:18 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I have 3 kids 5,6, & 7 and they are really good about picking up their toys and putting dirty clothes in the laundry basket and they each have their own chores they have to do. I have the hardest time with where to put everything, we live in a house that was built in 1920, before they had closets so we have lots of things in totes just stacked along our basement walls and while closets have been added to the bedrooms upstairs it would be nice to have a pantry type closet and a linen/ broom closet we have no place to store the broom, mop, and vaccum when it isn't being used!
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 4:44 PM on May. 23, 2010