cell phones

At what age should a child have the privlage of a cell phone?

nurdreams

Asked by nurdreams at 3:37 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• i think that once a child gets into extracurricular activities, he or she should have a phone. There are plans that allow calls ONLY to certain numbers and that restrict how and when the minutes are used. I think if a child has to stay after school or go to something like Scouts or something where you just drop them off then they should have a means to reach you. Now, I know my goal as a parent is to be at every single Scout meeting and every single ball practice, but things do come up where it is impossible. Even if my child were to go to a slumber party I would want her to have her own phone to reach me on...JMO
    Mom2LexiNJordan

Answer by Mom2LexiNJordan at 6:59 PM on May. 23, 2010

• When they can afford to pay for the cell phone bill them self.

Answer by louise2 at 3:41 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Well I think it depends on how mature they are.. and if you want them to be able to call for help if they need it. My oldest daughter got her first cell phone at 9. She turned 10 today!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:41 PM on May. 23, 2010

• When they have a job and can pay their OWN bills.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:07 PM on May. 23, 2010

• There was a child of 12 yrs old that got pick up by some one in my town phx az resently and she used her cell phone and the kid nappers let her go. for that I am want to get my daughter a cell phone because who knows what those people had in mind.N ot saying that having a cell phone safes lives but who knows.
    My 12 yr old does not have a cell phone but the thought is there to get her one.
    Anonymous

• In our household - HS when they will be in vehicles driven by teenagers or driving themselves.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:13 PM on May. 23, 2010

• The answer depends on more variables than just age. While for some 11 year olds a phone may be very appropriate and an important way to communicate in some contexts with parents for others it may be unnecessary or even something that is continually misplaced or lost. I think the decision of when is something every parent must decide for each child and once decided must also set in place rules for use, which, if violated result in the loss of use for a defined time period. Heather is 12 and just got a cell phone this year. She has been very good so far about following the rules with the exception of begging on a few occasions for them to be softened.
    JHance

Answer by JHance at 8:19 PM on May. 23, 2010

• 12 is a good age to me. It deosn't have to be fancy just something for emergency only.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:03 PM on May. 23, 2010

• my son got his at 9. it was a christmas present. its prepay and he only uses it to call people i program in for example me, his dad, his nana. now that he is old enough to ride his bike to the store or library I require him to call when he gets there and take a phone with him in case of an emergency. We pay for his minutes out of his child support and he only gets 200 at a time and they will last forever.
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 5:41 AM on May. 24, 2010

• We personally haven't decided on this one yet. Our gs is 9 and I am a SAHGM 2 blocks from both the schools in our small town so there isn't a point for him to have one... tho many of the 2nd-6th graders do have them and also live close by, we are nor is he ready to have one.
    I would guess it would depend on your family situation as to why your child needs one also..
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:05 AM on May. 24, 2010