for women who didn't have an epidural or pain meds while giving birth

I feel like I'm somehow being naive in thinking I want to give birth without an epidural or pain meds. Everyone is telling me I'm psychotic or that I'm twisted for wanting to feel such pain. It's not about wanting to feel pain, I just want to avoid drugs. I want to have a healthy, natural birth if I can. I'm not talking about a situation in which there's complications...
For women who didn't have an epidural or pain meds...can you give a nervous pregnant girl any good encouraging advice? I really want this..

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 6:22 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Wasn't me, I wanted as many drugs as I could get lol, BUT I have a friend who did a home birth, no drugs & was just fine! Its about mind over matter, learn self hypnosis. The brain is an amazing, misunderstood organ. If you can make yourself believe some pill you're swallowing is working why can't you convince yourself that you don't need the pill? Most placebos are as effective as the meds they're tested against! Learn how to make your mind work for you!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:25 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I DID have an epidural after I was induced, but I am all for natural birth. I want to go drug free this time if at all possible and it has nothing to do with "wanting pain". Avoiding drugs is admirable. Good for you! Keep your doctor in the loop on your desires for your birth. But also, don't feel like a failure if you end up needing something. The only reason I needed it was because the pitocin made my contractions so strong that I started to vomit and it was causing my baby's heart rate to go through the roof.

So, go for it! Don't worry about the nay-sayers. Do it how you want it and know that there are LOTS of women who do it without the epidural or drugs.
    Anonymous

• For me, it didn't really hurt as much as I was told it was going to. I'm really good at zoning out, and so I used that method and it seemed to work. Just lt your mind go someplace else.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:28 PM on May. 23, 2010

• google Hypnobabies. My first 2 children I had EPI's. The pain overwhelmed me. But w/ my 3rd child I did hypnobabies and had a home waterbirth. It was awesome! Never even thought about meds.
    Anonymous

• First of all you are not psychotic or twisted you are a smart woman for even considering it. I did it twice could not do it the third time because there were complications and had an emergency csection which left me feeling like crap. If you really want this I suggest you go through lamaze classes so you know how to work with your breathing and a focal point to ease through them, it works like a charm, and if you were fit before you got pregnant it should be easier for you. I totally understand wanting to be med free, if I had not done this with my first two my first born would have died from complications she was less than 5 pounds although she was full term, anything you take goes right through the baby, kudos to you for wanting to go through at natural way, the recovery is magnificient!

Answer by older at 6:32 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I delivered drug free. Honestly, having my membranes stripped hurt a hell of a lot more. After I delivered, I felt so energized, I wanted to to home right away; it was quite the battle convincing me to stay 24 hours.

I owe it all to Kathy Smith pregnancy aerobics; I did them daily, starting aroung my eighth week, until about a week before I delivered (I just couldn't do it anymore). I gained 24 pounds while I was pregnant, and looked pretty much pre-pregnancy by the time my daughter was eight weeks old (pretty good for a 35 year old).

Answer by rkoloms at 6:39 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Think about this: All during your pregnancy, you've been careful to avoid drugs and to keep your body healthy so your baby will be healthy. ALL drugs pass through the placenta to one degree or another; in small quantities, yes, but they do pass through. So why, after being so careful your entire pregnancy, would you suddenly medicate yourself while in labor.
    The mind is an amazing thing. A woman who feels calm and relaxed, who feels secure and safe in her surroundings, who doesn't have to fight for what she needs and who is able to move and position herself freely, experiences much less pain and fear than women who have typical hospital births.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 7:14 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Unfortunately, not sure where you are, but you sound like you are from a culture that has less & less trust in the normal process...
    I am an American so I am very familiar with what you're saying and getting from those around you.

You can delivery your baby naturally without drugs, but it might be much easier to surround yourself with like-minded attendants, supportive information, and more confidence.

It's your choice whether you want to bother educating others with your reasonings.
    Usually, the doubt and discouragement comes more from the other person/people. If they couldn't/didn't want to do what you intend then they don't wan to feel badly about themselves. Your ambitions and possible success can feel like salt in wounds for some...

Cont:
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:29 PM on May. 23, 2010

• A truly good friend will be supportive and encouraging whether or not it was the right choice for her in her labor.
    If you don't already have those friends it's time to make new friends!! ;-)

Birth classes and doulas might be able to help you find a better crowd for the time-being!

Good luck!!

BTW~ I had two natural waterbirths and am very happy to talk about them, anytime!
    :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:31 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I was 16 yrs old when I had my first child I did not use any kind of medication what so ever for pain I am expecting my 3rd baby in Sept and I plan on not using any medication as well in my birth plan I have it to where they wont even ask if I want any I will let them know if I need any meds. I think by taking the meds it takes away the whole true experience of giving birth to your child my mom has 13 children and has ever took any meds to deliver any of us...
    Anonymous