Do I still count as a SAHM?

I work from home and I do take my career seriously enough that I intend to keep doing it and excel at it... but I also stay home and put my daughter first in terms of time management when DH is working (which isn't right now...whole 'nother story). When he goes to work, I get up, make her breakfast, spend some "cuddle time" with her, pick up the house, do a little work, make lunch, play with her, put her for nap, work some more, get up when she does, make dinner, etc... I never which side of the whole "argument" to pledge my allegiance to. lol. Do I get to sit and play with her every second? No. She finds ways to entertain herself and then she comes to find me and we play every fifteen mins or so...but I do focus on work part of the day too. Sometimes it's hard though, because I don't fully identify with either group...and yet both groups...so it's hard to find moms who share my unique challenges...ideas?

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 6:28 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You don't have to pledge your allegiance to either side of the argument. You are a WAHM. Nothing makes a SAHM or a Working mom better than the other. I hate the arguments. I've been on both sides and the whole fight is just stupid.
    Anonymous

• You would be considered a WAHM (work at home mom). I think that way you get the best of both worlds. I stay at home with my boys. I sometimes miss working, but I do love the quality time I get with my kids. Even though I'm at home I don't sit and play with them 24/7. I don't anyone can do that round the clock. Plus they need to learn how to entertain themselves.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:30 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Oh, I hate the arguments too...that's why I can see BOTH sides of it. I felt I NEEDED to work to stay sane, but the thought of daycare made me unhappy, so I made it a point to find something I could do from home. It's just difficult because most other WAHM's I find have the whole MLM businesses, so it's not something where they DO have deadlines, demanding clients, etc... so sometimes I don't feel like I fit in anywhere! I'm in the WAHM groups, but they are mostly for women trying to advertise or find businesses. It's so frustrating. The working moms tell me how easy I have it being at home and choosing a work schedule, and some stay at home moms act as if any time not glued to my kids is doing them a terrible disservice. Grrr.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:40 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Yep, as others said, you are a WAHM
    Anonymous

• I'm a WAHM. And I find that I get the best of both worlds! I hate the arguments on working moms vs sahms. Some moms just can't understand that every family is different and what works for them doesn't work for another family!
    Anonymous

• I am a WAHM as well. I telecommute everyday from my comp. I get up and sit with my LO and we have cuddle time like you on the couch with our cheerios, milk, and my coffee. I then log in and do some work, I play, do laundry dishes, clean or whatever else needs to be done in between trips to the potty (in the middle of potty training as well), When she takes a nap I do too (incredibly luxurious now), we get up I log in to work some more and then I make dinner and I finish working while everyone is eating dinner. This makes for a very busy day and I am pretty tired by 8. I can totally see both sides of the coin too.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:02 PM on May. 23, 2010