Breastfeeding question!!! Calling all "nazi's!!"

Okay, please don't be offended...I just used that word to draw your attention. I actually want your help! Your rules and advice are totally welcome here! I breastfed my daughter until she was roughly 2 1/2 months and then stopped because my Dr. and midwife were worried about her lack of weight gain/weight loss. I tried the teas, pumping after feedings, feeding more, etc...and she just wasn't looking too healthy, not enough diapers and so on. I was incredibly depressed when we switched and still pumped what I could, but eventually she stopped taking my milk. She was healthy and stopped crying every waking minute out of hunger...but it was disappointing. I'm expecting a new baby any time now, and I really want it to work this time. But I keep getting conflicting advice. Some say put on a schedule so he'll eat longer, some say feed every ten minutes if baby wants, eat this, avoid that, etc... How can I up my chances of success?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Feed your baby when they are hungry. Offer the breast if it has been more than 3 hours. Pump once the baby has gone to bed. Do what feels natural. I really think anyone can be successful if their heart is in it 100%.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 6:56 PM on May. 23, 2010

• ~OP~ I forgot to mention that I DID see a lactation consultant and she was latching correctly and all that. My milk was also checked for fat content and there was no issue there. Could it have been due to an unenthusiastic nurser? She's always eaten rather luckluster... even now she takes a bite and then looks around, talks to me, etc...then eats some more, get distracted, etc...
    Anonymous

• yeah just feed on demand
    remember during growth spirts itll be weird because they will eat way too often but its just to get your milk going more for later appetites

pump when you can, and remember a single feeding can last any where from 15-45minutes, depending on your baby
    if baby is constantly falling asleep while nursing and you are noticing that he/she is stil hungry A LOT then remind baby to eat by gently waking them up... my son would always fall asleep and wake up starved so i would wake him up and sure enough he would feed another 5-10 minutes
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:00 PM on May. 23, 2010

• If there is a problem, try a supplemental nursing system (SNS). A lactation consultant should be able to help you find one and get you set up - that way even if you have to supplement with formula, your baby will still be stimulating your milk supply and getting what breastmilk she can. I successfully breastfed my 4 babies on a schedule, making sure that they got full feedings each time - it's just what worked for me.

Answer by missanc at 7:58 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I agree feed baby when hungry. Some foods like chocolate or broccoli can make the baby gassy. We had problems with my first but we managed to get her to take to it eventually. I say go for it and just be calm. It could be your little one just didn't want to nurse. We had to supplement the first time too so she got a little formula if she wasn't getting enough during her feedings. If it doesn't work out though don't be hard on yourself. I mean really it has to work for you AND your baby. Good luck!
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 7:59 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I agree with the above posters and just wanted to add that all babies are different...just because you had trouble with the first doesn't mean it will be the same. My first didn't do a great job nursing - he wasn't good at latching on and was easily distracted. My second was a champ - I almost couldn't keep up!! Good Luck!
    romanojm

Answer by romanojm at 8:51 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Just nurse on demand. As long and often as baby wants. When baby comes off the breast on his/her own, burp, and offer the second breast. I had a terrible time breastfeeding my oldest - lots of really bad advice. My youngest I nursed exclusively for 7.5 months and continued on until she was 2! You can do it!
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 9:03 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Nurse on demand 100%. No schedule (except when first born if sleeping to long you may need to wake him. but that isn't really a schedule). My babies nursed every hour at first. just nurse nurse nurse. It is not unusual for them to seem not satisfied because you see them wanting to nurse when they just did. But that is so normal. And the more they nurse the more they build your supply.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:19 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Nurse on demand...no schedules for BF babies. And if you have a sleeper on your hands, during the first week, wake the baby every 2 hours to feed so your milk will come in.

Possible problems with your last baby could be related to the baby not being a good nurser like you said. Or you may have been eating something that didn't agree with the baby. Common culprits are broccoli, beans, too much garlic, onions, chocolate, and melons (mine couldn't handle melon at all). You may not have been feeding often enough (my first baby sometimes ate every hour).

My LC told me that your body gets more effecient at making milk with each baby. So, I think it will go more smoothly this time around.

Join the BFing groups here on CM for some great advice.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:27 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Also make sure you are nursing long enough on each breast.. Its that hind milk that come at the end of each nursing that is the fattiest for the baby!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:52 PM on May. 23, 2010