If You Would Have Been Allowed To....

Would you have delivered your children in a different position than on your back?

While I was quite happy lying in the the hospital bed and delivering on my back with my first, being on my back was agony with my second, I wanted to be in a squatting position, and with my third I was thankfully able to deliver in the position that was most comfortable to me at the time, on my hands and knees!

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 6:59 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• ya, i would have tried some other positions and this time i intend to.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:11 PM on May. 23, 2010

• We should not have to feel we're "allowed" or 'not allowed" to labor and birth as we desire (or don't). Even in hospitals, doctors and nurses should adapt to the positions that feel comfortable for YOU, not the other way around.
    My son was born on my side in a hospital, my daughter on my knees at home.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 7:16 PM on May. 23, 2010

• definetly, why do they insist on putting us in a position that does not allow gravity to assist?! lol I would have squatted but I had a very difficult labor with severe blood pressure issues so by the time it came to delivery I just wanted to have my baby safely so I did whatever they wanted. At least we arent strapped down during delivery anymore...we are making progress!!
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 7:18 PM on May. 23, 2010

• my hospital allowed any position that was comfortable, I just did my back because I had back labor, so bad omg, and moving around was the worse thing possible, other wise i heard squatting is easier because gravity helps and it opens the birth canal by 10%
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:18 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I wanted to be on my hands and knees.
    Anonymous

• pretty much I was tied to the bed by all the IV's & baby monitors! I hated it! Birthing should NOT be like that! Laying on your back is the worse, probably least natural position, but -- as everything else in the hospital, its whats best for the DOCTOR! Not you silly girl lol..
    I really hope I am stronger with my opinions next time around. I will not be strapped down by monitors & I will be free to walk around & labor how & in what position I want!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:49 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I delivered my daughter on my back, but my son was born with me lying on my side. It was MUCH easier that way for me.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:05 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I went to a birthing center with a midwife, so I could have pretty much done whatever I wanted. I labored and birthed in a bathtub. I was kind of sitting up.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:23 PM on May. 24, 2010