Back pains? Could it be kidney stones??

Hello, I am having sharp back pains on the right side of my back (below my bra strap) It has been off and on for 2 days now. I am worried that it could be a kidney stone? Is this possible? Should I be worried enough to go to the ER tonight? My husband is concerned...I am 12 weeks pregnant.

jess.bancroft

Asked by jess.bancroft at 7:00 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Health

• Does it only hurt in the back? Or is it in the front under your ribcage as well? That sounds too high for kidney stones, but in the right place for gallbladder stones. Having gallbladder problems is unfortunately common for pregnant women or women who recently gave birth. I would say get it checked out for sure.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 7:06 PM on May. 23, 2010

• If the pain is not severe I would not go to the ER it may just be the stretching of the muscles in the body b/c of the pregnancy I would call your dr and set up an appt for first thing this week
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 7:16 PM on May. 23, 2010

• If it is kidney stones eat 1/2 cup cooked and blended or pureed asparagus before breakfast and before dinner, or boil 1 cup asparagus in 2 quarts of water and drink a cup of the asparagus water four times a day. You may notice that your urine has an unusual smell. This is really nothing to worry about.

Doing this should break up the stones so they can pass and heck it's healthy for you. Drinking a glass of distilled water with fresh squeezed lemon juice daily will prevent them. Good luck.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:44 PM on May. 23, 2010

• It sounds like it's too high for kidney stones....or a kidney infection which can also cause pain, but usually lower than that. I would call your doctor though, to get an actual diagnosis. When your pregnant, it's best to be safe instead of sorry.

Good luck, and wishing you a healthy pregnancy.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:24 PM on May. 23, 2010