What if the U.S. Government gave people a trial period when they come to the US?

In other words, why not give them a month at max to gain their citizenship or atleast show that they're working towards it by getting a visa, and learning English? And if they don't show any signs of becoming a citizens, then deport their ass and never allow them back in the country again.

Wouldn't that be a better, more peaceful and fair solution? Because some countries don't offer a way to get a visa to the U.S. Or it's just not accessable to people because those with guns have too much damn control. Shouldn't we atleast give people a chance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would say six months, because I know how long legal paperwork takes... But I don't see an issue there. At least we would give them a chance that way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:29 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Sometimes it takes years for legalization papers to come through, plus the money it is required kind of puts a damper on it, but your idea could work if the procedure for this legalization was expedited.

Answer by older at 7:32 PM on May. 23, 2010

• That's why I say visa too. Visas atleast allow a person to show proof that they want to be here legally.
    Anonymous

• why not give them a month at max to gain their citizenship

You're kidding right? The current process takes most folks years-

Anonymous

• I dunno. lol I was just throwing a number out there.
    Anonymous

• Isn't that sort of what we do already, with the visa's and the green cards?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:40 PM on May. 23, 2010

• To become a citizen you have to first have been lawfully admitted into this country as a permanent resident and receive a green card. The waiting period is 5 years. They have to fulfill several requirements like understanding simple English and studying US history etc. I believe the waiting period is shorter if the legal resident in question serves in our military.

Obviously the US already gives people a chance.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 24, 2010