Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What if the U.S. Government gave people a trial period when they come to the US?

In other words, why not give them a month at max to gain their citizenship or atleast show that they're working towards it by getting a visa, and learning English? And if they don't show any signs of becoming a citizens, then deport their ass and never allow them back in the country again.

Wouldn't that be a better, more peaceful and fair solution? Because some countries don't offer a way to get a visa to the U.S. Or it's just not accessable to people because those with guns have too much damn control. Shouldn't we atleast give people a chance?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (7)
  • I would say six months, because I know how long legal paperwork takes... But I don't see an issue there. At least we would give them a chance that way.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:29 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • Sometimes it takes years for legalization papers to come through, plus the money it is required kind of puts a damper on it, but your idea could work if the procedure for this legalization was expedited.

    Answer by older at 7:32 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • That's why I say visa too. Visas atleast allow a person to show proof that they want to be here legally.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • why not give them a month at max to gain their citizenship

     You're kidding right? The current process takes most folks years-


    Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • I dunno. lol I was just throwing a number out there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • Isn't that sort of what we do already, with the visa's and the green cards?

    Answer by 29again at 9:40 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • To become a citizen you have to first have been lawfully admitted into this country as a permanent resident and receive a green card. The waiting period is 5 years. They have to fulfill several requirements like understanding simple English and studying US history etc. I believe the waiting period is shorter if the legal resident in question serves in our military.

    Obviously the US already gives people a chance.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN