What would you do about the immigration issue?

People have forever been coming to this country in search of a better life. I understand there are some people who come here just to take advantage and take our money, but for those who actually come here because they want to be Americans should be given that chance just like everyone else in history like the Irish Americans, Chinese Americans, even the African Americans. So why can't we continue to give people that oppertunity who truly deserve the chance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, I think if they aren't criminals, we should welcome them with open arms. Give them their green card and let them pay taxes like the rest of us. I see no reason to turn people away... Not after all the history of immigration here... It's not like any of us really belong here - unless of course you happen to be 100% native. So why do we have so much trouble welcoming others?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:16 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Yeah but the trouble with the new law, is that if they look like a certain group of people and are a certain group of people, they're automatically assumed to be a criminal.
    Anonymous

• I would just be like how they are in england and if someone doesnt have a passport or legal ID then they are put in jail until a family member or friends can present it. if it finds that this is a non legal resident then I would have them escorted to their homeland.
    if I went to any other country thats how it would be done. Im pretty liberal on most topics but this. Welfare is offered to illegals and now they are thinking of getting rid of it? in california and thats where I live and seriously, if the some odd million that were here paid taxes and got their funds liquidated like true citizens maybe this wouldnt be a problem
    Anonymous

• they can get a chance when they arent commiting fraud and smuggling
    yeah when your SSN gets stolen for a illegal to work, i bet youll think differently
    Anonymous

• See anon, if we would give them green cards without all the extra hoops, that wouldn't be an issue!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:27 PM on May. 23, 2010

Exactly!! Our country was built on people coming here in search of a better life. Sure many came here legally AFTER we killed most of the Natives and took over the land!!
    Anonymous

• I have no problem with immigration, done legally and above board.

I have a problem with people sneaking across the border and working using falsified papers.

If you look at past immigration, like the Irish for instance, they had to fill out paperwork and pass certain tests before they could come to the U.S. Ellis Island wasn't a welcome mat, it was a screening facility.

We do not have an immigration issue. We have an illegal immigration issue. VAST DIFFERENCE.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:32 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Personally, I think if they aren't criminals, we should welcome them with open arms.

If the come here illegally, you don't know if they are criminals or not.  That is why we have immigration laws in the first place. 

So why do we have so much trouble welcoming others?

We don't.  Millions of people immigrate here legally every year. 

Anonymous

• You do know that NA's migrated here don't you. They weren't sprouted out of the ground. Stop looking backward and start looking forward! Our Country cannot continue the way we are going. I don't know anyone who has an issue with people immigrating here...however most of the people I know have HUGE problems with ILLEGAL immigration.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:37 PM on May. 23, 2010

• You do know that NA's migrated here don't you.

And they were here before the Europeans and yet they were still slaughtered and murdered for this land.
    Anonymous