When you are getting ready to board a plane with your toddler.....?

...do other passengers make snide comments or give you dirty glances? I'm so afraid of this happening when I fly with my 2 year old next month. I'm afraid that I'll lose it and not get on the plane-I'm really sensitive to criticism.

She's generally a good girl, but as a 24 month old, she has her stubborn moments. I'm planning to take an evening flight, and am hoping she'll sleep for the majority of the flight (7 hours total).

Can you help me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on May. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• They do give you dirty looks and make comments. Once, I was struggling with my infant who was colicky and I ended up taking a bow in front of a group of nosy/annoyed on-lookers. I was angry... but really, you should just try to brush it off. Or have a sense of humor about it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:55 PM on May. 23, 2010

• you'll be fine. borrow or rent a DVD player for movies. have her be as hungry as you can possibly stand so she'll snack happily. hit the dollar store or value area of target for some surprise goodies (a slinky, maga doodle, koosh balls, whatever) you'll be fine ... it's not as bad as people think
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:58 PM on May. 23, 2010

• get some ear planes to keep her ears from popping. I think that's what they are called anyway. You'll find them with other ear plugs at any store. It's not as bad as people think and no one ever made a comment to me when I took mine on a plane. then like the above poster things she can amuse herself with during the flight.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:01 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Don't worry at all! I flew with my son when he was 7 and 9 months. And we're flying again on Wednesday and he's 21 months. My son cried -- and I mean screamed -- the last 25 minutes. Even though he had a bottle at that time I'm sure his ears were probably bugging him. When we landed, I apologized to everyone around us and they were like, Oh, it's fine.

This time we're taking dum dums and his sippy cup with juice for when we're taking off and landing. We also have a DVD player so he can watch some shows. We bought a few new toys at the dollar store to keep him entertained with if he starts getting cranky.

Really, it doesn't matter what people think. Kids are kids. There's nothing you can do. You won't ever see these people again. And the most important thing you can do is stay calm if your child is crying!

Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

• Most airlines will have you load first, and there shouldn't be an issue. i recommend you carry her, it makes it easier for everyone. My DD cried on the plane which sucked because people looked at us, but whatever, you have kid, you just have to try and stay calm!
    Anonymous

• I flew several times with my first son. Never had a problem with other passengers. We were lucky and they put us at the very back of the plane the last time. So between my husband and I we had the entire back row. And he was all over the place, that was around a year old. Sure a 2 year old will be better LOL As everyone said, takes lots for them to do, snack on, drink. A diaper bag, stroller, car seat are free at any airline we ever traveled on. So you shouldn't have to pay baggage fees on any of that. Even pac and plays too.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:03 PM on May. 23, 2010

• OP

And how do you deal with the fact that the child has to sit in a confined area for hours at a time? Even I get bored and restless while flying...but I can usually entertain myself with a book (and napping)...but how will my two year old handle it?
    Anonymous