Dog seizures....

I have a ten yr old golden retriever. I think she is starting to have seizures. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what dogs do when this happens. Meaning do they completely lay down and shake or can they be just shaking? My dog was laying down yesterday and started shaking for a few minutes w/ her head still up, not on the floor. Then once she stopped there was a ton of fluid on the floor by where she finally rested her head. Is this a sign of cancer or something? There has also been two other times w/ in the last 6 months that she will throw up, but wont be able to get up and walk for a few minutes after. Her whole entire body w/ shake and go limp. Thanks!

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 8:22 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Pets

• i would take that dog to the vet asap
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:23 PM on May. 23, 2010

• My brothers dog has seizures and that sounds like what his dog was doing to I would get your dog to the vet asap, there are meds they can give them to help. His dog is part Lab/Dalmatian poor things they are like our kids :-)

Good luck
    ~Linda
    Lindles

Answer by Lindles at 8:28 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I am a Vet Tech goldens tend to have issues in their breed line to have seziures. Your vet should check your dog's phenobarbital level and do some blood work. But make a Vet appt ASAP!
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 8:41 PM on May. 23, 2010

• My 6-year-old black lab has seizures. He has them at least once a month. He usually just starts shaking and he won't wag his tail or open his mouth at all. He just shakes uncontrollably and then after a few minuets he'll start to come out of it, wagging his tail, panting, etcetera, but still is shaking and can't get up for about 5 minutes. He is now taking 1 1/2 phenobarbitol in the morning and at night. His seizures have definitely gotten better and less in frequency since we upped his dosage from 2 to 3 a day.

It's really scary. You just hope they are able to get up after having one. Definitely go to the vet. There's really not much they can do but the meds do help the length of the seizure and doesn't make them as bad as they could be.
    Anonymous

• My parents Boston Terrier has had seizures since he was a few months old. The vet has him on Phenobarbital and that helps a lot. During the seizures he would fall the groud foam and the mouth and urinate and deficate on himself. They are really horrible. My mom had a special supply of towels that she would wrap him in during his seizures she would also make sure that he was on a soft surface (carpet) and could not band his head or hurt himself on anything.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:03 PM on May. 23, 2010

• my chocolate lab has seizures they can draw their bodys up tight...and shake uncontrollably my dog trys to get to where i am and will fall and thrash all over the floor fall over and draw..she does often pee the floor after a seizure and she can have several in a row...she takes phenabarbitol for her seizures it works well...but it does have side effects..
    Anonymous