need help with a eating healthy and buying the right things

My husband and I are both overweight. We eat unhealthy and try to get the cheap stuff because we are broke. We have 350.00 a month to spend on food and drink. We have been on numerous diets and fianlly decided to just make it a lifestyle change BUT I have no idea what to buy and get overwhelemd at the store. On the diets we pretty much ate chicken breast but I am SO TIRED of that after eating it on and off for 4 years now. Can anyone help? A grocery list would be so awesome! thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Stay away from anything in a box. Use the outside isles in the stores. Thats where most of the healthy foods are. Fresh or froxzen veggies, beef is fine just try and eat more fish, chicken and pork. Water is all you need to drink. I do drink iced tea and stay away from anything with loads of sugar. I don't ever drink sodas, sweetened or not. Try eating fruit for desert or breakfast. Every now and then we have angel food cake and strawberries or a small bown of sugar free ice cream. Don't torture yourself just eat smaller portions and stay away from processed food. There are plenty of places on the internet where you can find the good foods. Just google healthy food, food pyramid or something of that sort. Good luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:52 PM on May. 23, 2010

• think of the foods u normally love, then just try and make them healthy. IE sloppy joes

use ground turkey
    use a healthy whole wheat roll w/ tons of added fiber
    add as much veg to the sauce as u can think of..... meat and tomato sauce mask ANYTHING from carrots, squash, onions, etc etc etc etc etc

also consider things like B.LT.s where you'll get carbs from a bread, a small amt. of fat from a dollop of mayo, and protein from turkey bacon and gobs of veggies piled on (lettuce and tomatoes naturally but whatever else u have on hand as well)

if you don't have some fat and some carbs you'll never make it work in the long run

good luck!!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:54 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Fill up on fruits and veggies. I know it's hard because they are expensive. You can usually get a good price on huge bags of apples, oranges, and carrots at sam's club. If you don't have a membership maybe you can go with someone who does. I also shop at Aldi from time to time to get fruit cheaper.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:06 PM on May. 23, 2010

• whole grain / whole wheat, brown rice, chicken turkey fish, veggies, fruit, yogurt, low fat, oatmeal, protein, WATER
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:08 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

We spend about $60-80 a week on groceries fof three of us, plus the occasional extra teen; around 80% of what we eat is organic.

Send me a message if you would like some recipe or meal ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:12 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Read labels...ingredients first, then nurtition info.
    If there is anything on the label that is not recognizable as food, stay clear of it.
    Drink water most of the day. If you drink soda, cut way back and keep cutting until it's completely out of your diet.
    Make the bulk of your food fresh veggies and fruits and whole grains, beans and nuts, also lean meats.
    Choose frozen veggies or fruits (without sauce) instead of canned.
    Don't fry your foods...bake, grill broil, roast, saute, stir fry instead. (uses much less oil than frying)
    Use canola oil, olive oil...any oil rich in omega 3
    Learn how to make things that you like and use flavorful ingredients to satisfy your tastes. It doesn't have to be boring and bland.
    If you like junk food, make your favorite things from scratch with natural ingredients that have minimal processing. You don't have to deprive yourself. Just limit portion sizes.
    Keep busy, go walking.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:56 PM on May. 24, 2010