Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help on this one!

I have a really close friend in California, and she is a single divorced mom with one child. She live in this beautiful 4 bedroom 3 bath home, and she cannot afford it. Her only job is working in a bank part time. Her landlord and his wife lend her money to pay for things like gas for her car, food, or utility bills, and she owe them almost $4000 now. It gets better you guys. The landlord is now telling her that it is time for her to return the favor and have sex with him, or he will sell the house. This is against the law, and I think she should sue, but she is moving instead. He said he has done a lot for her, and she never show her appreciation back. I would love to get my hands on this creep.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • yah, but unless she can get it in writing she has no proof so theres more money wasted....i would deffinately move

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:58 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • time to move, he sounds like he is not all there in the head!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • they are forcing her into prostitution?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • I'd ask the wife if she's aware he's asking her for sex in lieu of paying the rent. He can write off the loss of the rent so he's not really losing anything. I had a landlord that would reduce my rent all the time and told me I was doing him a favor by not being able to pay the entire rent. He said his income was too high and needed the loss. He never asked me for sex though. He did ask me to cut the grass in exchange for $100 a month off the rent. The yard was mostly concrete so I took scissors and cut down what little grass we had! lol I'd tell her to check the tenant-landlord act in her state to see what options she has. He'll hound her even if she moves so I think she should report him. Tell her to talk to Legal Aid if nothing else.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:32 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • She cant prove anything so she should move and get a full time or possibly 2 jobs so she can pay what she owes them. It was irresponsible of her to stay in a place she cant afford to live as long as she did and to accept loans when she could't even pay the rent so she needs to be responsible now and take care of her obligations.I also seriously doubt this landlord hasn't made some other form of sexual overture before that she just blew off because he wasn't asking out right for sex at the time. I'm sorry it sounds harsh but its true.

    Answer by bandrplus2 at 4:36 AM on May. 24, 2010

  • Yes, it is illegal to request sex in trade for the rent or favors. However, she has no legal recourse because she does owe them the money. They can actually take her to court and sue her for the money she owes. The problem all started because she is living in a house she cannot afford. No one else gets this luxury, why should she? I live within my means, which means a small house, a used car, and a budget for groceries. She needs to just leave this behind and get a place that she can afford.

    Answer by TarLion at 12:48 PM on May. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.