night terriors

my 10 month old son has been waking screaming for about a week and i cant get him t stop cring he just cries himself back to sleep in my arms what doesthis does he have night terriors?

alexus629

Asked by alexus629 at 9:45 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my friends baby did this around that age, she put him in a routine with a night time bath and bottle, read him a book and made sure he was fast asleep before putting him in bed. it stopped pretty quickly.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:50 PM on May. 23, 2010

• my dd used to do that, we got a dream catcher for her and it seemed to stop!
    Anonymous

• i don't know if you'd call it true "night terrors" (my son had those from 4 yrs AWFUL) but yes he's having some sad dreams and needs comfort, try moving his room a bit - can you put the cot on another wall? That often changes the view when they stir and stops the dream cycle he is having right now - last thought is - have you added anything new to his diet this week? It could be something that seems okay at first but reacts in his gut later on - sometimes sweet fruits can ferment and cause tummy pains and restlessness.
    Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:00 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I did that as a kid, and dd has done it twice. It's sometimes very scary because they seem awake...but they aren't. She will thrash around SCREAMING and pull away from us when trying to comfort her and writhe almost like she's in pain. Then suddenly, like somebody flipped a switch, she just stops and calms down and goes back to sleep. There is not much you can do for them other than make sure he can't hurt himself and wait it out. If he lets you hold him, then do so...if not just check on him until he calms down. Good luck! Security objects often do the trick also. The same night my mom happened to put my sister in the same room as me, mine stopped and never came back!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:01 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I'm not sure they are night terrors at that age. It could be gas. Talk to your doctor. My grandson had NT and they are scary but the dr said under no circumstances were we to wake him up. We just talked gently to him letting him know we were here and rubbed his back until he calmed down and the NTs stopped.
    Anonymous

• I agree with trying a bed time routine every night. Also maybe have something on during the night that produces white noise, like a radio or some stuffed animals have white noise options now. My daughter has night terrors, but they didn't start until after age 2. It might be an ear infection at his age - I'd check with your doctor.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 1:43 AM on May. 24, 2010