another question got me thinking..

I am not personally on welfare but I do know someone that is. In MA if there are two parents in the home both parents must be actively looking for work. they get something like $500 a month and if they don't show proof they don't get that money. or they can choose to do commutity services for 30 hours a week for there pay. I lived in the projects ((yes! I worked, one of the very few!! there)) and I seen and heard it all.
also MA has a 2 yr limit you can be on. after your child turns two you have to do commutity service plus look for a job.
so any other states do this?

**no longer in the projects, now I am married mom, who owns her own home with her hubby** ((moved out 3 yrs ago))

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 9:57 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ** I feel like a asshole, for even forgetting that.**..lol
    I think I got like 491 a month or something.. I know I couldn't wait to go back to work, cause I was just down and out. I don't know how people can live off that.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:16 PM on May. 23, 2010

• in arkansas there is a 2 year limit. but you dont have to even look for work.
    Anonymous

• really?! .. if I am correct I think they just have to do commutity service the first 2 yrs if they don't want to look.
    I may be wrong though. I never had to go though it so I am not 100% on there rules.I am sure someone will correct me though
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:02 PM on May. 23, 2010

• 5 yr limit in california
    Anonymous

• From what I understand in IL, you have to do 35 hours of community service a week to qualify for cash assistance. That's what my caseworker told me when my husband was fired from his job. I believe that's because there are two parents in the home. I'm not sure that there is a limit on public assistance such as foodstamps and/or medicaid.
    I know WIC has a limit of when the child turns 3 and when the mother is 6 months post pregnancy with the most current baby.
    We have been on both and it sucks :(
    Anonymous

• I totally forgot I was on welfare myself for about 4 months. I was a single mom pregnant with my second child and went into labor at 29 weeks then was put on full bed rest. I was currently working 40 hours a week. I had no other income so my mom's friend made a apt with the welfare office and make me go. I had NO choice but to be on it until delivery of my son. I didn't have to look for work or do any services. they said is was a medical reason. I went off when I had him and went back to work full time. ((thankfully they held my job!!)).
    see wic here is 5 years and then the 6 mos post. you also can get it while prego, that I do know about...
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:14 PM on May. 23, 2010

• In PA it is 40 hours of work / looking for work and going to their offices for training. Community service was never mentioned. If there is a child under the age of one then one parent does not have to work. Or if the mom is pregnant she does not have to work. WIC here is for ages 5 and under.

We have only used medicaid (for the kids) and foodstamps. They check us yearly (our taxes) to see if we still qualify. That is because dh is self-employed. I believe if you have a regular job with a pay stub they check every 6 months but I could be wrong about that.
    Anonymous

• In Ohio there is a "works first" program. You have to attend to get welfare...or prove you are working at least 20 hrs a week. Or going to school. Everyone has a different story. I get ins and foodstamps even though my DH and I both work. I have 3 from an ex DH and he just left, never paid a dime in support, so my kids are to meet reqirements.
    Anonymous