What kind of skin irritation would you think this is?

My 11 month old has a rash. If you run your hands over his stomach, arms and legs, you can feel it, but you have to really look to see it. He isn't acting unhappy, but it's been there for a week now. I actually noticed it one day at my son's baseball game, but it was really hot outside *we live in Texas* so I assumed it was a heat rash. I didn't notice it again until a few days ago when a kitten scratched him. I've applied hydrocortisone cream to it, no change yet. I've looked at tons of pictures of pictures of rashes, but they all look red and really bad. They also seem to be in other places than his rash is. He sweats if he falls asleep on me, so I rarely keep clothes on him at home. I was thinking heat rash until the cat scratch. What would you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dr. said eczema!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on May. 30, 2010

• My daughter has eczema, but she also gets a few red patches along with the heat rash looking stuff. Her skin can get feel rough a bumpy too, mostly looks like heat rash if she gets it. We changed to Dove no scent or dye and use Aveeno lotion. If it gets really rough we use Aquahor. AND we use All dye and scent free laundry detergent.
    Anonymous

• My son had the same rash since he was born..You cant see it but you can feel it..The Pedi told me it was eczema..I always soak him in lotion after every bath an every morning...I wouldnt be to concerned...
    Anonymous

• Dang, I guess I was hoping he wouldn't get it. My middle child has eczema, but as he is 7 now, his doesn't look the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on May. 24, 2010

• He may also just have really dry skin. My daughter gets that and I put lotion on it. You can feel the dry patches, but there is no redness...and with an extreme moisturizer it seems to do better. That would be my guess anyway. Otherwise, eczema is probably the next thing I'd guess...although most I know who have that (including myself) do also experience redness or itching...there are various types.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:31 AM on May. 24, 2010

• My daughter has a rash that she's had awhile now. I thought it was eczema but we were just at her 9 month appointment and her doctor said it was dermatitis. Her rash is similar to what you describe except she does have a few red spots that really only show up after she has scratched at it or after a bath. He said to put Aquafor on it after a bath and a hydrocortizone cream on it in the morning.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:37 AM on May. 24, 2010

• It sounds like heat rash to me. My daughter had it for a week or two. It was the same thing you described. I took her to the doctor and she instantly knew what it was. She said since it wasn't really on her legs, more on her torso and because my daughter wasn't acting like it was irritating or itchy that it was most likely heat rash. She said not to worry about it, that it would go away on it's own. I try to dress my daughter in lighter clothing now.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 12:32 PM on May. 24, 2010