What is a good DSLR camera

What's a good camera for a beginning photographer? I've been told a DSLR, but there is so many! I don't know what to look for, what lens' I need...Any tips from anyone who knows, please let me know!

miss_hughes

Asked by miss_hughes at 10:29 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Shopping

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • I have a Nikon D60 and I LOVE it. I wanted something good and capable of doing a lot, but something that was great for a beginner and not SUPER expensive. The Nikon D60 was an excellent choice. I'm very happy with it.
    bellaitaliapicz

Answer by bellaitaliapicz at 10:45 PM on May. 23, 2010

• how do i know what lens' (if any) i need? someone else suggested the nikon d60 as well and when i was looking at them theres the nikon d60 body, nikon d60 + some lens', nikon d60 with other lens'...its confusing!
    miss_hughes

Answer by miss_hughes at 10:50 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I bought a package from Ebay that included that kit lense (lense that comes with the camera when you buy it), plus three other lenses (telephoto, and two others)....plus a bunch of other accessories like a tripod, carrying case, backpack, memory cards....all kinds of things. It cost me about $600, and was well worth it.
    bellaitaliapicz

Answer by bellaitaliapicz at 11:39 PM on May. 23, 2010

• The Nikon D60 is nice but the lenses are expensive and if you think you might upgrade your camera in the future, the lenses for the D60 will not fit on all Nikon's. The reason is Nikon decided to come out with lighter cameras in the D40, D40x and the D60 and put the motors for auto focusing in the lenses. The lenses are more expensive for these cameras.
    I would suggest going to a store (Best Buy) that has Nikon's and Canons and hold each one and get the feel for them and ask questions. For a prosumer (what you are looking for) I would suggest Nikon D5000. But if you would like to get into this as a profession (which takes years to do because I've been there!) I would go and get a D70 or a D90. You probably can find them on ebay. Good Luck!
    nctarheelmom

Answer by nctarheelmom at 9:25 AM on May. 24, 2010

• cnet.com is a good place to read reviews on the different cameras. We have a Canon Rebel XT and we have a couple different lenses for it. We can upgrade to any Canon body and use our lenses.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:50 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I got a Nikon D40 almost 3 years ago and I still absolutely love it! It is so easy to use and the pictures are incredible. I love Nikons.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:22 PM on May. 24, 2010