Do you consider yourself a Feminist?

And if not, would you be offended if someone called you a Feminist?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "The feminists writers I've read aren't for equality, they want superiority. "

This is my NUMBER ONE biggest issue with the "feminist movement." Once upon a time, it was about equality, which is great! But now, it's about being better... And that's going to far!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:04 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Personally, I'm rather anti-Feminist. I believe it was a movement which was started with good intentions and has now been pushed beyond any decent limits...

And yes, I am very offended when someone refers to me as a feminist...

I do believe in equality, and a woman's power. But I think extremes in any direction are bad.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:38 PM on May. 23, 2010

• lol, no I don't, and no, I wouldn't. You took that quiz, too, eh?

I feel like movements like feminism promote the interest of one group to the exclusion or even detriment of others. My husband and I fall very naturally in some traditional rolls, and very naturally in some non traditional ones. For instance he does all the auto repair, but also bathes the kids almost every time.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:39 PM on May. 23, 2010

• no im not a feminist i dont think i am anyway
    if i was called a feminist? depends who said it
    a man....id reply "well without women there would be no man" lol my SO says that a lot, he thinks its catchy lol
    a woman...well idk i havent heard any women shouting out "feminist" to anyone lately

in my house we share roles both fem and mas. but only because we're better at diff things
    like i dont clean, he does
    i can put together the crib, he cant lol
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:43 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Of course I am, I believe in the equal rights of women.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:46 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I did, yeah... lol...

Generally I don't believe in what we consider "Traditional" roles, but I also see no reason why they are necessarily a bad thing. IMO, Feminism is about CHOICE. It's about having the freedom to choose to have the life YOU WANT. And if that means being a SAHM while your DH earns all the money, that's just great! On the other hand, if you want to be a single attorney by day and mom by night woman, that's great too... It's about having the freedom to be who we want to be, not fitting in to someone else's mold of what is right and wrong...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:46 PM on May. 23, 2010

• No and no. I have very mixed beliefs and I think that's healthy. Then again, if someone was judgemental of me or called me a feminist in a demeaning way, I might de-prozac myself for a moment and kick their butt back to 1912. There are different types of "feminists." I'm the type that still likes her separate public ladies' room.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:53 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I used to be a card-carrying member of the feminist set. THEN I read so many books written by feminists who felt women who stayed home with their babies were "wasting their minds", felt women who homeschooled were out of their minds, and generally put down men, marriage, and motherhood.

Equality means providing equal choices. I support equality. I support a woman's right to raise their babies, have successful careers, or do whatever they are called to do.  The feminists writers I've read aren't for equality, they want superiority. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:01 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Of course not.

If the woman/mom wins everytime, who loses?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:05 PM on May. 23, 2010

• No. I consider myself a humanist - I would like to see both men and women working together for the common good. Sometimes that means a man takes the lead and sometimes a woman, it depends on who is best for that particular task. Men and women in partnership can do almost anything. That is the basis of my marriage and so far (nearly 18 years) it's working pretty well.

I have too often seen the ugly face of Feminism. The womyn who believe that anything with a penis must be Bad News and needs to be knocked down. The ones who believe that only Womyn (they often refuse to even acknowledge 'man' or 'men' in words like woman or women) have worth. That kind of Feminism disgusts me and I would rather not be a part of it.
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 11:21 PM on May. 23, 2010