DIY School Uniforms?

Would you ever buy your kid multiples of a certain type of outfit to wear to school in lieu of a school-mandated uniform? My example: I want to buy my son 5 pairs of the same style of cargo pants, but in different colors, and 5 jersey polos in different colors. I really wish our schools had uniforms, but they don't, and the DIY concept is appealing to me. Would you do it, or am I nuts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on May. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would do it. My son will be going to a charter high school in September and what you desribed is their dress code. Khaki's, Dockers, Dickies or Cords and a shirt with a collar. No writing on the shirts. Jeans only on Friday's with a school logo shirt and only if the entire school earns it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I did it. My son has worn jeans and Land's End polo shirts the entire year.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:23 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Most kids do in my experience. My son usually wears jeans and a t-shirt to school. One of his class mates always wear cords or khakis and a button down shirt. One of the girls wears leggings and a tunic every day. I'd suggest getting different brands of shirts though otherwise there's a good chance of him getting teased about his mommy picking the same kind of shirt. It's one of those random things that kids latch on to. I bought my shirts in a multi-pack (white polos, we did have uniforms) and I got teased about wearing the same brand every day.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:41 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My kids wear uniforms!! White shirts navy pants. Before they wore uniforms I dressed them in collared shirts and pants
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:16 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I am a fan of uniforms. At first not so much. Then after working with a school that had uniforms (middle school) I saw how that was a benefit. If my son's school went to uniforms I would jump up and down with joy. There are several schools now in our area that are public schools with uniforms. Right now my son is in private school and I buy second hand clothes at consignment shops. He is so hard on his clothes. Most in our area do tan pants with a specific color polo, sneakers only, and a belt.  I do not think I would buy a uniform like closet unless my son was actually required to wear a uniform.  For now, second hand works well for us.  And all of his clothes are brand names in excellent condition for cheap.  The only problem is when we pass them on they are not as nice because he wears them out hard.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:08 AM on May. 25, 2010