when is the last time you feed your child before bed?

i used to feed my son right before bed. but i recently stopped that because i don't want him to develop bad eating habits and end up overweight like his father. so should dinner be the last thing he eats? what do you ladies do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well my lil one gets two animal crackers about 30mins b4 bed..But he doesnt eat hardly at all during the day and he use to have a habit of waking in the middle of the night wanting to eat (which never happened) I would give him a lil water and he would fall back asleep..He has now gotten to were he drinks his milk and then wants his teeth brushed and he goes right to sleep..The crazy thing is he is only 13 1/2months and hes already gotten a routine....I couldnt be any happier bc its a healthy routine. ;) If its a healthy snack at bedtime then I would say it should be fine, but they say dont eat five hrs b4 bedtime for some reason, but I am not going to let my child go hungry either...everyone raises their children differently though and you can help prevent your lil one from becoming overweight if you just stick with healthier snacks...
    Anonymous

• We usually begin dinner around 5:00 and bedtime is usually around 7-8ish. They are allowed to get drinks of water from the bathroom. If my dd (4) gets full (she is usually tired and ready to be done with dinner early on) she can go ahead into the bath after she's eaten enough, but my ds (5) is usually sitting there still eating seconds, thirds, dessert for a while until he is full. We try to let them listen to their bodies- don;t finish if you're too full, but don't go on to dessert if you're not full.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:36 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Most nights we have supper, kids take a shower, and they go to bed. So there's really no time for them to need a snack. We eat around 5-6, and they're in bed around 7-8.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on May. 24, 2010

• We eat dinner around 6 and that's the end for the day (our son is 3). Once in a while he'll ask for milk or a snack. I'll usually say no iniitally (just to see if he really needs it or if he's just checking what he might get). I'll give him something if he persists and can't be distracted (on the theory that he's really hungry).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:22 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Dinner at around 5:30 or 6, bed around 8.. nothing in between. I guess they're sometimes still eating at 6:45, probably not much later than that, though...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:41 PM on May. 24, 2010

• We eat dinner around 6 pm, and the bedtime routine starts between 7 and 7:30 pm with both kids in bed by 8 at the latest. DS will get a cup of water after he's done brushing his teeth, but that's it. I feel we eat late enough in the evening that a bedtime snack isn't necessary.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:07 PM on May. 24, 2010