Fost-adopt question

Does anyone know if it would be held against a couple if one or both is taking antidepressant medication, but has the recommendation of their doctors? I would hate to go through all the training and work of getting certified, only to be rejected.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Adoption

• OP, No, I don't believe that it'll hurt your chances. Yes, it may depend on why you are taking them (for example suicide attempts may disallow you), but many, many people take anti-depressants these days. You'll be asked about your medical history & have to have a physical to show that you are healthy enough to take care of the children. If you are concerned, ask in advance. I'm pretty sure that this was covered in an older post in the Foster/Adoptive Parenting group, in which I'd like to extend you an invitation. There are old/new foster & adoptive parents in this group and a WEALTH of information. Lurk a while, or feel free to post. Everything they DON'T tell you will be covered there.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3104

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:21 AM on May. 24, 2010

• It should not. I do not know but I think as long as you are not felons and all...Should be fine. Just ask.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:33 PM on May. 23, 2010

• You should not be rejected. I grew up in foster care an my foster mother was on antidepressants..and I know of a foster family that both were on antidepressants as well...So you should do what you feel in your heart is the right thing to do...If you think you want to take on that challenge, then you should...Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• It won't be held against you as long as you are under a doctors care and have a good support system.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:44 PM on May. 23, 2010

• It depends on your mental state and why you're taking them. It will be harder but not impossible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on May. 24, 2010

• not sure... might depend on the state.... my dr wrote "previous depression" i was so upset about it!!! but nothing came of it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on May. 24, 2010

• No suicide attempts or ideation, just irritability and being stressed about situational stuff that will be resolved before we are ready to pursue this. Thanks for the info. I will check out that group.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Both my DH ad I are on antidepressants, have been for years, and had no trouble getting certified for fost/adopt. What they want to know is that you are stable and taking care of yourself and keeping yourself healthy. I think in some ways it is good to show that you were able to recognize a problem and get help for it. Kids adopted out of foster care are likely to have some issues and a family that is not afraid to face those issues, get help from a doctor, go to counseling if needed etc. is exactly what they want!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:45 AM on May. 25, 2010

• In regards to becoming a Licensed Foster Parent? You can be on all types of meds. Your doc will have to give a written autho. that you are physically and mentally sound. My husband and I have assorted illnesses and on daily meds...we have been fostering for 2 yrs. September.
    Joeys1Fan

Answer by Joeys1Fan at 7:19 PM on May. 25, 2010