4 month old constipated...?

My 4 month old son is so very constipated for some reason. Every time he tries to have a BM, he screams and cries as if his insides were being ripped out. He's not fully finishing his bottles. This all started today at 2pm. I've tried to put a thermometer up there to ease some pressure, I've tried giving him and ounce of diluted apple juice. I've bought some Karo syrup, but I wanted to wait on that and see how he's doing tomorrow. If its not better I'm going to take him to the doctor. I know babies get constipated, but is it normal for them to scream and cry like this every time they try to have a BM? Any tips are apprectiated, and anyone who's been through this?

sstokes86

Asked by sstokes86 at 11:52 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went thru it alot with my lil one...Still go thru it...Karo didnt work..My pedi told me not do the thermometer, but it was ok to give him a small dose of the infant laxative...only less than a half of the infant laxative..Not the childrens laxative but the Infant.not saying you dont know the difference but my pharmacist got it confused and sent me away with the wrong stuff..but when I got the right med it worked miracles for my lil one in seconds...Good luck an hope he feels better soon...
    Anonymous

• I go through this with my 10 month old....he would scream and cry and really stiffen up whenever he tried to push. he gets so stiff that he does gets in a push-up stance and holds himself there! Are you feeding your lo any rice cereal? My dr told me we were feeding him a lot of things that cause constipation and since we've changed his diet hes pooping again....he had to cut back on rice cereal (giving oatmeal instead), bread based products, and fruits that go black when left out like banana, apple, peach, etc. We tried Karo syrup and it didnt seem to help us much either. Good Luck! 

landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 12:25 AM on May. 24, 2010

• He eats about a tablespoon of oatmeal mixed with sweet potatoes a day. But he hasn't had that in 3 days and the constipation started today. I'm not going to give him any more food til I see how he's doing. I'm going to buy some infant laxative for the future. Thanks!
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 12:39 AM on May. 24, 2010

• My sons pediatrician recommended us to use Pedia-Lax liquid glycerin Suppositories when my son was 5 months old. Since is was recommended for 2 year old, the doctor told us to only give our son 1/4 of the dosage. It literally worked in less than thirty seconds! I would recommend this to anyone whose child is constipated!!
    RobinE8

Answer by RobinE8 at 12:42 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Has anything recently changed in his diet? Is he passing dry, hard, pellet like stools? Karo is a no no, per their own website.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:17 PM on May. 24, 2010