How can I make my dogs breath a little more bearable?

Now I know dogs dont have the best smelling breath but this is TERRIBLE, so I was wondering if there is anything I could do to make it a little bearable .

TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Pets

• brush his teeth its sounds silly but hey it works...they even make special doggy toothbrushes and toothpaste I don't use i dont use it but my aunt does. My dog loves spice drops...i know he shouldn't eat candy...so I just slip him a mint one and we are good lol
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 2:01 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Brushing his teeth will help but he probably needs to have a dental done at the vet.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:02 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Oh I know! well brushing works well but it has to be done constantly, vets do teeth cleaning but its very pricey (around $300) and there product called "naturally green Tropiclean fresh breath" there's 2 bottles in a package gel to apply to dogs teeth and liquid to add to drinking water and it works GREAT for my dogs!

Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 8:50 AM on May. 24, 2010

• feed him parsley
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:14 AM on May. 24, 2010

• try the greenies,there little bone snacks for there teeth
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:48 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Brushing his teeth,schedule a dental for your dog,Greenies treats, Feed Dry food or more dry and less canned,Hard crunchy dog biscuits, NO Bully Sticks or Pigs Ears(if you give them)
    Anonymous

• I disagree with Greenies; they are dangerous, as is rawhide. Also, dry food does NOT clean the teeth! I mean, think about...do crackers and cereal clean your teeth? I do agree with scheduling a cleaning with the vet and brushing his/her teeth a couple times a week. Also, if you're feeding one of the low quality "grocery store" brands, switch to something high quality. Some examples are Wellness, Canidae, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, etc. Stay far away from Ol Roy, Pedigree, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba...
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:56 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Some dogs won't let you brush their teeth. I take a wash cloth and wet it and then put baking soda on it. I stick my hand in there with the cloth and wipe everything out. I can rub the gums pretty good. My dogs don't have tartar build-up. They chew constantly and remove it. They just stink.

Also, a little apple cider vinegar in their dry kibble helps.

Super gross but... is your dog licking his anal glands? Sometimes that's the reason for the really bad breath. The groomer can help.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:32 AM on May. 25, 2010