Any police officer moms?

I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do with the rest of my life. I've been looking at different career options, but I've always wanted to be a police officer. I'm 19, but I didn't graduate high school. I am getting my GED soon. I was just wondering if there's any mom's on here who could let me know a little bit about becoming a police officer, and maybe soem of the things you went through becoming one that you didn't expect before hand. I live in Ohio. Thanks in advance :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, I am not one quite yet. I am majoring in Criminal Justice and I have put in an application for our local sheriff's office. Tomorrow I have the first part of my test to see if I get an interview. Are you a single mom? If so, then I think the biggest challenge will be finding childcare for your odd hours as a police officer. Being a police officer isn't a 9-5 job, so I can see that as a big obstacle. As far as the basic steps to become a police officer, you will either need to apply (after you get your GED) at your local department and they will send you to police academy, or in some states you have to put yourself through police academy first and then apply. In a few states/cities, they may even require that you have a Bachelor's degree. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions. I may not be able to answer all of your questions, but my husband is a police officer so he can answer the ones I can't.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:18 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I also want to become an police officer. I plan on taking criminal justice in the fall. I graduated in 09. I live in Washington state
    tigger08

Answer by tigger08 at 2:51 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Im not a single mom, Im getting married in June actually. My MIL would be the one to watch my son when I would go to police academy, or get called in. Thanks for the info!
    Anonymous