i feel like a terribly mommy!

my son had a fever sunday and monday ran between 101 and 103...i alternated tylenol and motrin and just watched him..he had no other symptoms, snot, cough or anything...tuesday he woke up fever free and was fine...well this morning...around 730 he came running into the bathroom while i'm showering screaming blue bloody murder about his ear...so i got out and dressed he was screaming crying bout how it hurt so we went to urgent care and had to wait for 2 people ahead of him...mind you he will still screaming at the point...dr. comes in looks in ear and said i was lucky it hadn't ruptured! and that chances are it still may! i feel terrible for letting it get to this point...he never complained had a runny nose or anything but somehow his ear drum is bulging, red and thin :(...they numbed his ear and sent us home with antibiodics and some pain relief drops for his ear and that has totally taken the pain away but i feel like a t

lovinMYtwins07

Asked by lovinMYtwins07 at 1:38 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Health

• oh no!! sorry that happened to you. Your not a terrible mom.Dont feel bad,trust me i know its better to be safe than sorry most of the time but hey it can happen to anyone,
    your scaring me now though.My dd is 22months old and she had a fever for 2 days thurs and friday.then it went away.Yesterday night well mre like this mrning @1am when we got home she was cryng and wouldnt stop but never grabbed or pulled her ear....i wonder if this might be an issue
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:46 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Oh this happenes more often then you wold think. There is nothing to feel too guilty(you will feel some cause you are a momma of a child that is hurt). But you did take his when you knew something was wrong.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:48 AM on May. 24, 2010

• i knkow better safe than sorry but i'm kind of homeopathic...i don't think every fever needs check unless warranted by other symptoms or is lingering more than 3 days. and his lasted about 24 hrs and he was his normal self. and yah no tugging on ear, no whiny or complaining everything was normal! just woke up and BAM! :( thanks ladys
    lovinMYtwins07

Answer by lovinMYtwins07 at 1:53 AM on May. 24, 2010

• your not a bad mom as a pp said this happens more than you know. My son had one and i knew because he was cranky and complained that his ear hurt so when he got his next one i had no clue because he had no signs no fever or anything. He fell off his bed one night and i figured he just rolled over too far, two days later he ran into a pole at school and had a huge bump on his head, the school called me and i took him to the ER right away, come to find out he had a double ear infection and it was throwing his balance off. The doctor looked at me like i should have known but i had no way of knowing he hadnt been sick or cranky he had been perfectly fine and happy. These things happen we cant always know, we do the best we can. At least now he is being treated, I hope he feels better soon.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:57 AM on May. 24, 2010

• You should not feel like a terrible mom. You did exactly what every reasonable mom might do.

based on my personal experience (mom for 3 kids and a baby), I wait 24 hours to see if something develop and then I take them to see their pediatrician. At first I give them Tylenol and check if there are other symptoms and if there are than I take them to see a doctor.

Keep that in your mind you are a wonderful mom !!!!!!

baby in sling

saritbronstein

Answer by saritbronstein at 7:37 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure what you mean by being homeopathic, because your usage of it doesn't match it's meaning. You might want to look the word up. Homeopathic is a method of treatment, not a state of being, it is a like treats like form that has been around for decades.

That aside, no I don't blame you, the funny thing is that we just went through this too...but with DH. Last weekend he was running such a high temp I wanted to take him to the ER but he said we couldn't afford it. He started getting the screaming pain in his left ear and then once his fever broke, his ear was fine. Very weird! We had him on motrin, elderberry, for any infection, and tons of water & sports drinks. He's fine now, but it was still weird.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:53 AM on May. 24, 2010