Have you stopped spending money?

We have stopped spending money unless it is to fix the house or provide for a need. We don't buy junk, stopped going out and buying coffees and food out. We make a list and stick to it. We are by no means poor, but we are trying to teach our kids to be frugal. Are you acting any differently in this economy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Honestly I think we just changed our idea of what a need is! lol Its terrible I know but for some reason I used to be super cheap and now I have convinced myself that a large soda is defintely a need not a want. I am very bad about spening money on food I will do the monthly shopping in my budget usually lower and by my menu but food is something you HAVE to have so when I feel the need to spend money I always buy food even though we don't need it. I'm working on this....i suspect it has a tight relationship to my eating for emotional reasons as well who knows ? lol
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 1:54 AM on May. 24, 2010

• yup, but only because i dont have any money to spend :( being broke sucks!!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:07 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Not really. We eat out (at places where the tab comes to $200+) 3-4 times a month, we go to the movies (full price) a few times a month, take vacations 3-4 times a year, etc.. We have cell phones, U-Verse, etc.. Life's too short to deprive yourself. We put $5000+ in to savings every month on top of what already goes towards retirement. Of course, between my husband and I we make over $500K so we can afford these things. I couldn't imagine being so poor that you can barely buy groceries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on May. 24, 2010

• We aren't doing anything different in this economy except that we are now finally able to put a little away in savings. Day one of our marriage, we couldn't afford any of the extra's. We do, however, have a computer and the internet. We've never had vacations, we don't go to movies, we don't go out to eat, etc. We have been able to save some now because no longer have a car payment and my student loan is paid off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on May. 24, 2010

• No. My husbands business has really taken off and our financial situation is better than ever. We save and we have savings accounts for each of our children but we are not being frugal. Like a PP stated, live is just too short. We are lucky enough to be able to save and spend. We go to the movies or other outings every week, as well as eating out quite a bit. We are planning a Vacation for early June for the whole family and hubby and I are taking a couples vacation in August. Our cars are paid off, our house is paid for, and we have no credit card debit. We plan to fully enjoy everything we worked hard for. I believe that our example of hard work and dedication is a valuable lesson for our children.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on May. 24, 2010

• We just started spending again. I just finally got hired (yay!) so we're going to be a little more comfortable. We're still not crazy wild with our money, but I started buying work clothes and I've been getting things at the store I never bought before (like applesauce in the little containers vs buying apple sauce and making it at home - I don't know if I'll have the time and I want to send it to day care with him).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:13 AM on May. 24, 2010

• We have really cut back on our spending. We are trying to do more saving. DH is self-employed, construction, and it is so up in the air as if he has a full schedule lately so we are taking one day at a time. Things are on the up and up right now so we made one big purchase this weekend, that wasn't really big. We bought our little boys new bikes. We had coupons so they were $33 a piece and the boys together had $17 they put towards them. So we spent around $50 and that is a big purchase now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Frugality is nothing new. Although I do love to see someone who is new to it and excited about it. Try living like that for a good 20 years and you'll REALLY be excited about it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:36 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I am frugal and try to conserve but my SO isn't as much as I am. I learned some bad habits from him that I am trying to change. I don't buy for me, but I will buy for him and our child. I make the grocery list and stick to it, but if he is with me my budget is completely shot. We only eat out once a week and it is usually junk that is inexpensive and our DD is in bed when one of us brings it home. I started making more money recently so money isn't as tight as it used to be and I am getting some of our debt cleared up.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:44 AM on May. 24, 2010

• We're definitely more frugal. We had cable cut off. That was $60 a month, but we got a netflix subscription and that is $14. So that saved us some. We use to eat out once a week, now we eat out once a month. We cut down on minutes on our cell phones. Had house phone turned off. We also do little things, like always turning out lights when we leave a room, turned air up a few degrees, open doors and windows and turn air off when it's not REALLY hot, making more things from scratch...it all adds up. Our savings is growing and it really makes us proud!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 1:48 PM on May. 24, 2010