Any tips on weaning a 20 month old from bf?

Hey mommies!! ok here's my situation..i have a 20 month old and i am still breast feeding her. EVERYONE around me (friends,family) gives me a hard time about it. I read that babies should be breastfed (if possible) until 1. So the day after her bday my husband said NO MORE BF!! i tried weaning her and it didnt go so well. she cried all night all day and refuse to sleep and eat. anyway she got really sick so i let her bf again. My husband thinks its rediculous and nags at me everyday to wean her. My family and his think its stupid and embarressing that i still bf after 1 and my friends say its weird and disgusting. I really want to try and wean her again but am worried it will be like before. Any tips or advice???

c.r.y.s.t.a.l

Asked by c.r.y.s.t.a.l at 4:18 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay do YOU want to wean her? Or are you feeling pressured from others??
    DO NOT DO IT FOR THE SAKE OF OTHERS!
    You are doing what's best for your daughter, not for other people. Don't cave into other peoples immaturity! You will only regret it. My SIL did the same thing and still talks about how she weaned her son too early! That was over 12 years ago!!

If YOU want to wean (which judging by your post it does not seem like you do) than the best way to do it is gradually. Cut out one nursing session a week. For example if she nurses to take a nap, figure out another way to get her to sleep. Then the next week cut out another one. Just gradually do that until she is done. It will take a while, and there will be setbacks along the way, but if it is what YOU feel is best than it is worth the effort.

The World Health Organization recommends BFing a minimum of 2 yrs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on May. 24, 2010

• If I were you I would give a big middle finger up to anyone who called my mothering decisions "disgusting" or "ridiculous"!

Don't put up with that! Do what you know is best for your daughter.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on May. 24, 2010

• honestly the only reason i want to wean her is bc her front teeth are getting a bit yellow and her dentist gave me a huge lecture about weaning. her dentist told me that i should have weaned her a long time ago or she will get cavities. she told me that the next time i come in my baby better be off the breast! ugh i cant catch a break. anyway i didnt tell my husband cuz i know he would just say "i told u so" the constant critisizing is getting really annoying but im more concerned about her teeth. (sorry didnt mention it earlier)
    c.r.y.s.t.a.l

Answer by c.r.y.s.t.a.l at 4:38 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 AM on May. 24, 2010

• These are just a few of the websites that came up. Just google "breastfeeding cavities".

Get a new dentist. That one is clearly an idiot if he is depending on an old theory that has been proven wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 AM on May. 24, 2010

• OMG THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR THE LINKS!!! I have never heard that there is no connection between dental caries and breast feeding. This dr is actually rated top 100 in the US! she not only lectured but scolded me about her teeth being yellow bc of me breastfeeding her at night. I took her in when she was 13 months. I told the dentist i brush her teeth twice a day and she was like "it doesnt matter u need to wean her. go home and google on how to wean ur baby. next time u come in i want to hear that she is no longer bfing. and since then i have been thinking maybe all these ppl nagging at me was right and i need to stop. anyway i am going to be up all night reading ur links. if its true then i feel so relieved that my bf her is not the cause. thanks again!!
    c.r.y.s.t.a.l

Answer by c.r.y.s.t.a.l at 5:02 AM on May. 24, 2010

• You are welcome! I don't mean to be rude about your dentist.... but there are so many myths and flat out lies about breastfeeding it can get frustrating.

Anyways, like I said in the beginning, do what you feel is best for your daughter. Base your decisions on truths and not rudeness of "well meaning" family and friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on May. 24, 2010

• The PP is absolutely right - breastfeeding has nothing to do with cavities.

Please don't let other peoples opinions force you to stop - it's totally normal to continue on after the first year - infact, it's not natural for a baby to be weaned at 1 year.

If you and your daughter are both still happy to nurse -then go ahead and nurse.
    I did for 31 months until my daughter weaned herself and I will never regret it - it's one of the best things I could ever do for her.

Good luck. :)
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:33 AM on May. 24, 2010