smokers cough worse when quitting?

I'm on my third day of quitting and I seem to be coughing more this morning. I never really had a "smokers cough" but now I seem to have one! Either that, or its something else. I just thought it strange that I'm on my third day without cigs and NOW I start the dry cough that sounds like a "smokers cough".

Over the weekend, I resisted the urge to get in the car and go buy cigs, but today it will be harder since I will be driving all over the place and passing many stores that sell cigs!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Health

• yes the cough gets worse after you quit. It's your bodys way of trying to rid your lungs of the junk! When I quit it took about 2 wks for it to go away. Be strong and good luck!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 7:28 AM on May. 24, 2010

• It does get worse, DH got an electronic smoke and was doing real good with it, although he stopped using it cuz we need to get more filters for it.
    But yeah, the coughing was getting real bad, for him it wasn't just the coughing, but the stuff he was coughing up. Both our allergies have been acting up bad too, so we were both doing it. Mine wasn't from his smoke cuz he never smoked in the house cuz I'm allergice, part of why he's trying to quit.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:45 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Yes, the body is detoxing itself. My sister just quit but she used the patch and never had a physical craving but thinks about smoking a lot. She was a chain smoker but our mom died of lung cancer from smoking so sis is determined to stop.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:48 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I guess everyone is different. My hubby smoked 3 packs a days since his teens. He quit cold turkey and hasn't had a cough. That was 10 years ago.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on May. 24, 2010

• My hubby smoked 3 packs a days since his teens. He quit cold turkey and hasn't had a cough. That was 10 years ago.

That is great that he was able to quit. But ten years ago, did he have a cough during the first few days that he quit?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on May. 24, 2010