ATTN: Parenting Police

My son is 7 months old and I am giving him 2% milk more instead of strictly formula...Why? You ask. Well WiC cut my number of cans since he is now old enough for baby food but without teeth it's hard for him to go mainly babyfood so I have to make the few cans I get last.

So go ahead and bash if you want but FYI this is a real post.

AND FOR MY QUESTION...Is my 7mo old allowed to have juice in between bottles and feedings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did the same thing and my son is grown and fine. He never had a problem.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:45 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I would recommend whole milk and less juice....You want him to get the "fats" in the milk at this age, but juice really has "empty" calories". Can you make baby foods softer by adding water/milk (juice for the fruits), so they are easier to go down without chewing?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on May. 24, 2010

• first baby foods are practically liquid, so your baby doesn't need teeth. I add a bottle of bananas in a half a bottle of milk and it comes through the nipple just fine. In fact, I add all kinds of baby foods to my DD’s bottles as a “thickener” (she has a cleft palate)

Steak and potatoes‘? Yeah, you need teeth for that. Stage 1 baby food, and baby cereals? No teeth needed.

Good Luck!! And as PP said, get him whole milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on May. 24, 2010

• "but without teeth it's hard for him to go mainly babyfood"

LOL, I was thinking the same thing as anon :54. What kind of "baby food" have you been buying that they baby needs to chew it with teeth?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on May. 24, 2010

• The milk is fine although it should be whole milk because they do need the extra fat in it. But I would also like to say if you are getting the creamy baby food (stage 1) he doesn't need teeth.
    I would say at his age maybe 1 cub/bottle of juice a day diluted with water.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:01 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Ditto to all the above answers.

"Whole milk is better than 2%"

and "Baby food is practically liquid."
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:03 AM on May. 24, 2010

• eatingapple

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on May. 24, 2010

• LOL for some reason I though it was easier for babies to have cereal and babyfood if they had teeth...i know they don't chew it lol. So i'll get some whole milk. We only drink 2% but i'll do that. Thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on May. 24, 2010

• who gives a rip what someone else thinks about how you feed your child? your child is growing, is happy and healthy and is able to have cow's milk-so what.
    the stuff i fed my kids when they were babies would probably make some of the momnazi's on CM faint. $2.00 worth of generic barley, rice and oatmeal fed my kid for almost a month. If you have a blender you can feed that baby anything.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:17 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I vote for the whole milk. Since my LO drinks so much of it we have all been drinking whole milk. I would say that any food that you cook that is soft enough to mash with a fork won't need to teeth to be "gummed". Give it a shot. You never know your kid may surprise you. Good for you in doing what you have to in order to keep that baby fed and full.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:34 AM on May. 24, 2010