new study says sunscreen may be spreading around skin cancer? What do you use on your child?

http://www.aolnews.com/health/article/study-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer/19488158?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fhealth%2Farticle%2Fstudy-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer%2F19488158

I just found this in one of the aol links on the aol homepage. My daughter is starting daycare June 1st, and they made me sign a waiver (sp?) to allow them to put sun screen on her. I started doing research and when I came across this article I was put off. Are there any organic sun screens? What do you feel safe to put on your child to protect against the sun? Any recommendations?

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 8:13 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As of now she hasn't really spent that much time in the sun where I feel that I need to slather her with it. Otherwise I think the benefits outweigh the risks of the sunscreen. We use an an SPF 45 when we are in the sun for more than an hour and I try to make sure that those times are in shaded areas. I also live in the state of Fl and you really do need sun screeen here or you will fry and look like a lobster when you are pale like my family. Do we want to prevent skin cancer from the sun or do we want to spread those type of cells around once we have the cancer
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:29 AM on May. 24, 2010

• personally, i do not believe the sun is bad for people, unless you do burn when you go out. i have had maybe 5 burns in my life...and i have never used sunscreen. people spend too little time in the sun, eat too much bad food, and put too many chemicals on their skin. things to ask yourself....what are those ingredients in sunscreen that i am putting on my skin? can i wear lightweight protective clothing instead? why are skin cancers still going up, even though the use of sunscreen is so prevalent? never would i allow a school to apply sunscreen on my child. i might look for an all natural sunblock if i thought it was necessary, but i would have to keep in mind that even the natural sunscreens do not allow your skin to function the way it is supposed to.
    whew...what a rant!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:56 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I don't use sunscreen in my house. We play outside without it and take breaks when we feel hot. The park we go to often has a lot of shade even over the water. My kids have never burned.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:24 AM on May. 24, 2010

• See, the thing is, is everything friggen causes cancer, BREATHING causes cancer I'm sure of it. Ignore thost stupid studies and if you are that worried go to a health food store and find one of their products
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:36 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Be careful with studies like this. Stats can be manipulated. Think about it. Who uses sunscreen? Fair skinned people who are exposed to the sun. Who typically gets skin cancer? Fair skinned people who are exposed to the sun. People who don't spend much time in the sun or who have darker skin (which provides a natural protection against UV rays) are less likely to get skin cancer.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:44 AM on May. 24, 2010

• My daughter is 2. We NEVER use sunscreen. Not since she was about 5 months old and broke out in hives caused by 4 diff. types of baby sunblock. So I said screw it, she doesnt REALLY need it. And sure enough, she doesnt. She has her daddys nice skin. She has never burned yet, but booooooooooooy does she get dark!
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 10:28 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I have red hair and I burn pretty easily. My burns usually turn into a tan, but I burn none the less. Unfortunately I wasn't as diligent at using sunblock as I am now and I will be surprised if I don't end up with skin cancer later in life. I have family that have had skin cancer, too. My daughter seems to have taken after my husband because she isn't as fair skinned. She was darker than me even as a newborn. I do put sunblock on her, though. I'm not going to take any chances on her burning. Although I really only use it when we are in direct sun. If there's a lot of shade or she's in her stroller with the sunshade over her, I don't use it. I use Neutragena Pure and Free for babies.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:30 AM on May. 24, 2010

• There are many options for sunscreen out there. I just started looking into options myself because my son has very sensitive skin. I bought an spf 85 (I know! wow huh!--lol) and his face blistered & whole body broke out in bumps. There are organic/all natural options--but since I'm new to this I don't have names for you, you'll have to google it. Either way, I use sunscreen sparingly. Hats, lightweight longsleeves, sunglasses, shady spots & just monitoring my son while he's in the son have kept him burn free & he's very light skinned (blonde w/ blue eyes). My oldest son never has to have sunscreen but he's so dark naturally--he tells me he's Hawaiian--LOL! he's not but that's how tan he is. I do the same for myself, plan for what we're doing & dress accordingly ;)
    Winnie99

Answer by Winnie99 at 10:37 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Generally nothing as I don't agree that sunscreen is a good thing and some sun exposure is a MUST for health. I tend to use coconut oil/cream if we are out for a good while though.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:49 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I use California Baby or Kiss My Face sunscreens, both of which are organic and have good safety ratings on cosmeticsafetydatabase.org.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:51 AM on May. 24, 2010