My 8yr says he was threatened @ school, school doesnt believe him.

My 8yr told his father he was threatened by a younger kid at school. It happened on a Tues and he told his father on Fri. Im in 2 minds about it. His story has changed from what he told me happened on Tuesday, which was that 2 boy who had previously played with him now don't like him, to a younger child told him he was going to stab him. He moved schools nearly a month ago and at first he loved his new school (he used to hate school) now he doesn't want to go. His father rang the school and the deputy principle rang him back to tell him the the child in question was a softly spoken child who doesn't seem to be the kind to say that. I spoke to the deputy principle and he said he was still investigating it. My son then told me that he had reported it to the teacher on duty and this teacher said to him that she had had to speak to the boy before. Should I question this new info with the school.

IDKeverything

Asked by IDKeverything at 8:26 AM on May. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just make sure they are following up on it. You know the soft spoken ones who don't "seem like the kind" to say or do anything usually are the ones who do it. Reminds me of that song Jeremy. (Shoot now why can't I think of the band ARRRGH) ANYWAYS put in a call and make sure they are investigating and how it's coming along. It may be nothing, but i wouldn't want to take the chance. Every threat needs to be taken seriously these days.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:51 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Pearl Jam is the band that made Jeremy. My children just switched schools (and states) in March. My 7 year old has said things like this from her new school. I have checked with the school and it is HER that is doing it. Don't believe everything your child says...of course check up on it. It could just be the stress from moving. My daughter fell on the bus (she told me a 5th grader pushed her but the bus driver said she was jumping around and fell) and she had to get staples in her head. The school cannot be held responsible for everything. I hope he adjusts after a few more weeks and that nothing actually happened.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:32 AM on May. 24, 2010

• If your son's story has changed, I would question how truthful he is being. Usually my children will not change their story if they are telling me the truth. If they are lying then they do because it makes it harder for them to tell you something the same way twice if it didn't happen. Trust your child, but also realize that they are going to lie to you.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:14 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I agree with carmadsmom. If the story keeps changing then it is probably that your son itsn't telling the truth. I have a cousin that is like this. If he is picking on someone and they do something back to him he will lie and say the other kid started it and then his story will start changing. B ut if someone accually starts something first and he tries to tell someone and they don't believe him I have noticed his story stays the same each time he tells it. I would really question your son more about weather or not he is lieing. Investagate and stay on weather or not the school is doing what they can to find out the truth but I would really question your son if his story keeps changing. Changing schools can be hard for kids. I was a army brat so I know what its like and sometimes if a kid is having a hard time making friends they will make things up. Hopefully you will find out the truth soon
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 7:10 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Update- (Thanks for all the answers) I told the deputy about the teacher who was told at the time it happened and now I will just wait to see if anything comes from it. My son says he still likes school which is good. He said he got in trouble today because a child said he (my son) had called him (the other child) a name (which he says he didn't) apparently the teacher who told him off wouldn't listen to him and just put him in time out. If he is not lying it doesn't look good for him.....
    IDKeverything

Answer by IDKeverything at 8:30 AM on May. 25, 2010

• Have your lawyer call the school...maybe they will believe him/her. Bullying is a thing for any child to go through...They should never go through it alone. As a parent, your job is to make your child feel secure and loved and most of all, protected...
    nikki1012009

Answer by nikki1012009 at 11:52 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Yet another update - I spoke to the teacher who told him off yesterday he failed to tell me that it was his CLASS teacher she tells me that HE has been the one calling kids names and has been teasing them, she also told me that today he had no one to play with, this is what she has been telling him would happen for a week and a half if he kept doing it. Soooooo he is the one doing this and it upsets me I feel like a fool. I have started by taking away his weekly treat and privileges and he has lost my trust. seems my kid is a bully and he doesn't care.
    IDKeverything

Answer by IDKeverything at 5:54 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Sorry you have to go through this, I did the same with my daughter. She is starting to get a little better and even has a good friend in her class now.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:23 AM on May. 26, 2010

• he was in trouble again today! I hate this Im now nasty mum and noone seems to know how or what i should do about it I can only punish him I guess there is ALOT of info on what to do if ur child is being bullied, but nothing on what to do if your child is the one being a bully. Ive tried talking to him asking him why hes doing it he just makes up excuses and stories that its the other kids fault.
    @ ashisamom what did u do?
    IDKeverything

Answer by IDKeverything at 4:56 AM on May. 27, 2010