I need help with a problem I am having with my special needs daughter

Hello My daughter is 17 born with trismony 21 downe's syndrome at birth over the weekend she had put some pizza rolls in the microwave and turned on I was taking on the phone and heard the microwave when I got off she does not know how to use the microwave she turns around up up like about 6:30 had done the same thing she should of been sleep we do not get up until between 6:40 and 6:45.
Summer before last a container of chili was put in the microwave this was a diffrent one and you had to stand and watch your food button would not turn off I wake up look in kitchen its smoking causing the alarms to go off firetrucks to come I threw that microwave away.

I know she has to be closely watched but she is quite and sneaky sometimes to but this microwave thing is starting to scare me please no rude or nasty comments I cannot take it thanks blessed 2877

blessed2877

Asked by blessed2877 at 9:02 AM on May. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• From what you're saying your daughter needs strict supervision and it seems that you're doing every thing possible to make your home a safe place for your daughter.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 9:09 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I would imagine that you have tried to unplug the microwave already..... But, if that doesn’t work, can you cut off all the kitchen outlets at the breaker box? That would keep her from being able to turn on any of the appliances.

My kitchen has the fridge on a different breaker, so I can cut off everything except the fridge.

Good Luck!! I can only imagine how difficult it is to keep her (and your home) safe at all times. I have a child with Agenesis of Corpus Callosum and I worry how I will be able to manage when she is bigger (she is almost 7 yo now)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:10 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Just like ovens I am pretty sure that theres microwaves on the market that "lock" - manually or you put in a code or something. You could try looking for one on the internet. Good luck! Things happen to the best of us.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 9:12 AM on May. 24, 2010

• You can also get door alarms so you know if she has got up and left her room.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:46 AM on May. 24, 2010

• http://www.bluerooftechnologies.com/

Check out this website. This company can retrofit your house (or build a new one) with sensors, cameras, alarms, etc. so that you can always be alerted to what your DD is doing, even while you are asleep. I have toured one of their houses and what they are doing with technology is amazing!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:32 PM on May. 24, 2010