Bad Rash part 2

my son is almost 5 months and he has had the poops...and started a few days ago...then he started to get red on his left ball...i was powdering it...then i just went to change him and he is red from privates straight down the middle too his butt crack...his cheeks are not red...i go to wipe him when he is poopy and he just screams...thinking its from pooping so much....wat is the best way to help it?? cream?? baby powder?? ok took some advice from other post and this is what i did and what happened!

jess_angelica

Asked by jess_angelica at 9:29 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok so all day yesterday i used destin cream on my sons rash...around 5pm i put a washrag on him then put a pair of his sisters old panties that are to small then lastnight in themiddle of the night around 2 am when the hubby got up with him he used powder instead and seen how it worked! Then when i got to him at 4:30 am or so it looked awesome..so i fed him a bottle and then he pooped of course always do that after you change them..lol..instantly after i wiped him up and changed him he was red as could be...i am thinking that its the formula coming out and irritating it??? maybe!! Please what do you guys think!!!
    jess_angelica

Answer by jess_angelica at 9:30 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I think you should consult a doctor to be sure what is causing the rash. If necessary they can give prescription help. Nystatin works great, but need the script for it. Now as to the rash itself there's nothing better for it than good ol air. Let baby be diaperless for 15 minutes or so.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:35 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I think you need to take him to the dr today. As I stated in answer to your first question....NO powder, that feeds yeast. I'm thinking (but then haven't seen the rash myself) that you are dealing with a yeast infection. Yeast infections will improve with 1 diaper change from using powder because it absorbs the moisture, but then the yeast feed off of the powder and multiply, making the rash worse. But, also as stated earlier, your son could have a bacterial infection. Sometimes bad diaper rashes are strep or staph. Your son needs to be seen by a dr and have a culture taken.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:37 AM on May. 24, 2010

• My son actually had sensitve skin when he was born under hs neck from drool and such so the doc gave me nystatin i have some still...i didnt know if that would help with it or not...you think it would...i did let him air out with no diaper and nothing!
    jess_angelica

Answer by jess_angelica at 9:37 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Check the expiration date on the Nystatin before you try it. I would go to the doctor first and foremost to avoid doing anything to make it worse, but you can try the nystatin if it's still good. Past the expiration date throw it out. I can't emphasize enough though to check with the pediatrician first.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:41 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Your son's skin wasn't sensitive under his neck. He had a yeast infection in his neck folds (that is what Nystatin treats). All 3 of my kids got yeast infections in their fatty folds and had Nystatin.

Nystatin will only help if this is a yeast infection rash, but it could be bacterial. I understand your wanting to get advice here instead of lugging your baby to the dr, which is never fun. But, at this point you really need to take him in so the dr can determine what type of rash you're dealing with. You either need a Rx antifungal or antibiotic.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:41 AM on May. 24, 2010

• My sons doctor is not in today but i got him an apt with someone else that is a good doctor as well for this afternoon....
    jess_angelica

Answer by jess_angelica at 9:42 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Very kewl. It's ok we've all been there.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:43 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Try sensitive wipes or wipes and rinse them out with warm water and store them in a zip lock bag. Try gold bonds medicated powder(its for babies) and my dr gave my son a prescription diaper rash cream and for the life of me can't remember the name its starts with a c... lol anyways, it works AWESOME- i put it on and by the next diaper change it is ALL gone- no red, no irritation or nothing. You can also try baking soda in a warm bath. These things all work for my kids... stuff like destin and balmex do nothing but make it worse... IMO GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 24, 2010

• The powder seems to work for him...the destin didnt do a thing for him...i think i am going to reschedule his apt for today its 87 out and with heat index its 94.....dont want to drag him over there today in the heat!
    jess_angelica

Answer by jess_angelica at 12:14 PM on May. 24, 2010