What do Americans think of business owners advertising in different languages?

A neighbor has a restaurant in the area. The name of the restaurant, the menus, every single thing is display in Korean. There in no translation in English.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd feel pretty uncomfortable eating there. I think businesses that do that that don't want anyone of any other nationality patronizing the business. I don't really care and they really should be able to serve anyone they want.

We have a mexican place near us and i have never wanted to go there because their sign is in all Spanish. Well, dh talked me into it one day. I told him I was going to be upset if the menus were all in spanish. LOL Well they were. Luckily they had pictures. We ordered by pointing. The waitress spoke a few words of broken English so i'm not sure if she knew English or just didn't want to speak it. I was uncomfortable there and even though the food was great , we won't be going back.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:33 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Obviously the restaurant owner serves Korean food . I appreciate buiness owners who use more than one language in any case. But he will get complaints from people who don't speak or read Korean. A restaurant is free to use French,Italian,German, any language he wants though. Including English would be courteous for those of us whose langauage is English,nturally. But if we have had a few years of a second language in high school.as I think most of us have,we could use a menu to brush up on it. Why not? Our country consists of a variety of people and that is good. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:42 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I would think in this specific case that he's limiting his customers. I don't understand a business owner doing that. The idea is to make money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I think that if all he has is everything in Korean he is going to greatly limit his customers. But hey...if he wants to run his business into the ground that's his business. And a few years of a second language in high school isnt going to help for crap. We need to be teaching foreign language classes starting in elementary school if we are going to be serious about it. THAT is when children truly pick up languages with ease and hold them longer. Then they could brush up through middle and HS. But in this case it wont do you much good if you didnt take Korean ;)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:48 AM on May. 24, 2010

• His business, his choice.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:51 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Like Quinn says, his business, his choice. I have no problem with that.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:58 AM on May. 24, 2010

• THAT IS WHAT RAND PAUL WAS TALKING ABOUT. His family business his choice!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:16 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Rand Paul might not be the most reiable person to quote or follow. and it would not make me feel uncomfortable to eat in a restaurant that has menus printed in another language. We lived in Europe (air force family) and that was mostly what we saw when we traveled---other languages---but it is possibe to exist that way. LOL. Just relax and open your mind and learn. Life is filled with learning opportunities.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:39 AM on May. 24, 2010

• By the way...I should probably add that I dont mind if a restaurant CHOOSES to print their menus in 47 different languages...as long as it's THEIR choice and they havent been mandated to do it! :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:39 AM on May. 24, 2010

• wow gertie. Do always just read what you want o read or do you ever read what is there? She didnt say she was uncomfortable because the menu was in another language but because of the entire experience. It is really funny that you are tolerant of another country putting their menus in their language but somehow find it demeaning for those here to expect it in their restaurants. As for Rand Paul, well there you go proving your ignorance, again.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 24, 2010