How do you overcome resentment? Please Help.

My dh and I have been through a lot the last few years. He is an alcoholic and has failed to provide for the family. When I told him I was done, he begged me for one more chance, joined AA, and has stayed sober since. He has had some trouble finding a job, but has been working on that as well. Anyway, I have a lot of built up resentment towards him. Although I love him and want him to get better, I still feel really fed up. I don't know how to get over this resentment. A part of me wants out of this marriage even though he is actually making the effort and the other part of me wants to see if he will really start being the husband I need. I love him and our sex life is good, but I just want out sometimes and I guess it's because of the resentment I have. I am having trouble overcoming it and not wanting to pursue a different relationship

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• try counciling and maybe even a separation to see if he really stays sober, I went through something similar with my ex, and while no it obviously didn't work out. Time apart really helped clear my head,
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:42 AM on May. 24, 2010

• try counseling.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:10 AM on May. 24, 2010

• get a piece of paper and write down your feelings once you are done throw it away or read it then throw away in tiny little pieces look at it as letting it all go and throwing all your worries, resentments, problems away. it is some kind of therapy at least for me it is. try it if not get some counseling GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I have the same problem.Not the alcholic part.I can't forget hurtful things either.The only tbing that works for me is to get to the point where I can just accept what happened or what was said.Then it is just neutral.I don't forget about it but I won't dwell on it.It sounds like you have trust issues with your husband.but I would too in those circumstances.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:56 AM on May. 24, 2010