how can i get cats to stop peeing everywhere?

i have 2 male cats that are fixed.
they are 2 yrs old.
i keep the litter box clean.
when i change it i keep some of the old litter and add to it.
i have tried changing the litter brand.
i have tried cleaners that i got from the pet store.
i don't want my house to smell like cat pee.
if i can't get them to stop then i will have to get rid of them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Pets

• Why do you keep some of the old? That is odd.

In my experience would you want to go to a bathroom half clean. LOL

I always cleaned my kitty litter-2 times a week all fresh litter and that was for 1 cat. I don't know about two..
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:13 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Make them live outside! That's would I would do. Cat's have great survival skills
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:14 AM on May. 24, 2010

• The only way I could get my cat to quit doing that is I got a cage and everytime I seen pee I would rub her nose in it then put her in the cage for a half an hour... it took her a little while like a week or two but she learned... maybe try that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I wish I knew. I have two female cats, both are fixed. One is a little over 2 yrs and the other is almost 2yrs. We keep the litter box clean but our youngest cat always pee's on my rugs!! No where else, just the rugs. I have replaced the rugs several times already and tried switching litter boxes and litter types with no success. I have tried the rubbing her face in it but it dosent even fad her. She is lucky I like her or I would have gotten rid of her along time ago!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Have 2 pans and buy new ones every 2 months or so. The plastic absorbs the odor and they don't want to use it.. And by all means - don't leave any old behind. Completely fresh eat time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I agree, complete fresh litter 1-2 times/week. I even bleach the litter box when I'm cleaning.

Also, some cats don't like the feel of litter on their paws. You could line the pan with a stack of newspaper. It doesn't cover the smell like litter, and you have to change it more frequently, but it made my cat start using her box instead of my sweaters. I eventually started adding litter again, and phased out the paper, and she now uses her box w/ litter.

Could it be that the cats are territorial? 1 won't use it because it smells the other cat. Maybe you could try 2 litter boxes to see if that helps.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 1:06 PM on May. 24, 2010

• What kinds of litter have you tried? My cat would pee and crap outside her box all the time until I started buying pine litter.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 1:52 PM on May. 24, 2010

• If there is any sort of clothing laying around sometimes a male cat will urinate on them. Keep your laundry off the floor. You can also use white vinegar to clean up the pee and get rid of the smell too. Get different kinds of litter and see if that works. If that doesn't then get another litter box. Do not rub an animals nose when they have had an accident, that is cruel and it hardly ever works. If you are still having problems then contact your vet for help.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:53 PM on May. 24, 2010