Pro-life feminist? Is that an oxymoron or simply one stop along the spectrum of feminism?

(cross-posted in R & B)

Can you be a feminist and oppose abortion in all circumstances? Can you be a person of faith and support abortion in some circumstances?

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/colleen_carroll_campbell/2010/05/pro-life_feminism_is_the_future.html?hpid=talkbox1

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• me personally believe that feminism is about WOMEN to learn what they want for themselves and not what society tells them what they should de. We are still working toward that. Abortion is a personal issue. Yes you can be a feminist and not be for abortion. Yes, you can be a person of faith and support MEDICALLY SUPERVISED ( not back-alley, coat-hanger ) abortion if there is a need. Religion and Faith are two different things completely. You can have great faith and rarely attend Religious Services and you can not miss a Holy Day and have no Faith. This applies to ALL faiths including Atheism.  (Atheism is the faith there is no God.)

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:42 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I can't lean from one side to the other-if you use abortion as a birth control which alot of people do then it is wrong.-They should be taught exactly what they are doing to their babies before they decide to abort, then maybe just maybe some woman would look at it another way and not use it as birth control.

Being raped-It is tough although the baby did not do anything would you be able to live knowing he/she was not made from love.

I think it is a womans body and they should do what they want with it, but choose wisely, it comes back to you in haunting ways...

It is a tricky question...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:46 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I just think it's time we stop labeling people and things. We will all be better off. You have your opinion and I have mine. Everyone has their own opinion and we don't need to call names.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:48 AM on May. 24, 2010

• One spot on the spectrum. Just an FYI, I am totally pro choice.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:50 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Forgot to answer, I also believe in God, and I am still totally pro choice.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:00 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I think it's only a problem when someone else wants to define it as such. We've got to move past what we can and can't be. what qualifies as a good [fill in blank] and what doesn't based on someone else's ideals.

I think a feminist is about saying "we are individuals and won't don't HAVE to be shoved into the same box and conform. We are free to be the woman we want to be.

I am pro-choice. I am Christian. I am also a feminist in that I believe I, as a woman, have the inalienable right to be who am I and what I want to be without someone else telling me what box to get cozy in. I am a feminist because I think I deserve equal opportunities and equal pay - BUT I also have the right to opt NOT to pursue a career if that's what's best for me. I believe I have the right to be pro-choice...but I also have the right not to be. Being a feminist means no one group gets to define all women as any one particular thing.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:22 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I hate spell check when it lets words slide by.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:44 AM on May. 24, 2010

• This is me --

"I am a feminist in that I believe I, as a woman, have the inalienable right to be who am I and what I want to be without someone else telling me what box to get cozy in. I am a feminist because I think I deserve equal opportunities and equal pay - BUT I also have the right to opt NOT to pursue a career if that's what's best for me" (ldmrmom)

I have looked at some of the literature out there for todays feminist, and I don't subscribe to that way of thinking. So I usually don't refer to myself as a feminist. I am just me, the way I am. But the day may come when pro-life feminism is more than just a stop on the spectrum.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:13 PM on May. 24, 2010

• In my opinion feminism is about empowering women. So standing up for women in pregnancy prevention so the need for abortion isn't there is in full keeping with feminism. (rape and incest are excluded in my view. They are not voluntary)

I am a pro choice Christian. I believe abortion to be a sin but my views are mine alone and others are not bound by them
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 12:14 PM on May. 24, 2010