Pro-life feminist? Is that an oxymoron or simply one stop along the spectrum of feminism?

(cross-posted in P & CE)

Can you be a feminist and oppose abortion in all circumstances? Can you be a person of faith and support abortion in some circumstances?

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/colleen_carroll_campbell/2010/05/pro-life_feminism_is_the_future.html?hpid=talkbox1

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I posted a question about Feminism last night, and this answer will almost be a copy paste from there...

I think Feminism is about choice. It's about having the freedom to chose to have the life you want. I think the Feminist movement has spun way way out of control in my opinion. In the beginning, it was all about gaining equality, but now it's become about being superior to moms, men and couples... Which I don't feel is right... So to me you can't be a Feminist and Pro-Life, it just clashes. The entire point of the Feminist movement IMO is about the freedom to choose the life YOU want to have... And supporting the freedom of other women to do the same. You can't do that AND be pro-life... Just doesn't work that way!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:05 AM on May. 24, 2010

• flatlanderjenn - that is the most anti-woman view of Feminism I've ever heard! EVER!!
    Anonymous

• I think it makes sense. It all depends on how you view abortion - some women see the fetus/baby (whatever you want to call "it") and it's life equivalent to the woman's. In that case, it's not that one doesn't care for the woman's "rights," but that she also cares for rights of the baby.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:57 PM on May. 24, 2010

• This website is pretty cool.

It seems to me that the feminism around today has a lot of "I CANTS" in it.  I can't accept my natural bodily functions and must use hormonal contraception.  I can't respect my own self worth and dignity enough to save sex for marriage.  I can't go through with this pregnancy and must abort.

We are practicing a new type of feminism in my house; one in which we say "I CAN!"  I can learn about my body by practicing NFP.  I can respect my self worth and dignity by practicing chastity.  I can continue this pregnancy.  (BTW, I only have 3 kids)

I believe women deserve better than contraception and abortion.  Unlike a man, our bodies can do amazing things, and we should regard this as a benefit, not a burden.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:15 PM on May. 24, 2010

• How can that be anti-woman anon? You do realize feminism is the other side of the same coin as chauvenism. Why don't w
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on May. 25, 2010