Is it possible that my 2 year old doesn't know how to self-soothe?

He was such a good infant and younger toddler. He never cried unless there was a problem. So now when he gets upset about something he will just cry and cry unless I comfort him. And lately he cries over everything. Even when he falls when before he would just get up. He's driving me nuts! He just turned 2 last month.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think he is just doing what he is taught.

When he falls say awww your ok, and try to get him to ignore it. We know the cry from the real cry-serious pain. Don't feed into the fake ones.

He will continue to act that way if you continue to teach him to be too mushy. It is so hard, my only son was like that, now I am like omg, you fell awww little man your alright. He will wipe his hands off and keep running. He is six now, it took a while but be consistant, and don't give in that is what he wants you to do.
    My son is a mushy, little tough one but it took 6 years!!!
    Good luck...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:51 AM on May. 24, 2010

• yup if he isn't hurt say something like did you brake the floor with a big giggle and go on to your business...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Just let him cry maybe he has bottled up lots of things. Don't add drama, just comfort.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 24, 2010