1 year old not self feeding...so depressed HELP!

Has anyone else had a child that at one year old didn't self feed? And if yes, what were the things that were done that helped?

momtoblake

Asked by momtoblake at 11:02 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• None of my kids could feed themselves at one year.....I'm assuming you mean with a fork or spoon. Put him/her in a high chair with some finger foods...peas or cheerios were a favorite at my house...and let him/her practice.....they'll get it eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I have the opposite problem LOL! My one year old won't let me feed him at all and I worry he isn't eating enough!!! BUT...My son likes to hold a spoon or baby fork when he eats and has tried figuring out how to pick up pieces of food like that. It's almost like a game to them. I had to show him how to use the baby fork but now he has to hold his spoon for fork before he'll eat! Maybe show him how too??
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:06 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Are you serious? One-year-olds do not usually feed themselves. Like, ever. Read a book.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I was going to add, try those big baby cookies that baby can hold and munch on. They are a mess to clean up, like super glued to babies face, but its a fun finger food to practice on.
    Anonymous

• When I say self feeding, I mean with the bottle. It is as if he doesn't know what a bottle is. He is completely content with letting my husband and I hold the bottle for him.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 11:18 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Oh I don't know. My son was off the bottle by a year old. Have you introduced a sippy cup?? Don't hold it for him maybe...let him figure out that he has to hold it himself in order to get a drink.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:26 AM on May. 24, 2010

• If this is your major depression issue then you should thank your lucky stars. Get used to it, YOU will NEVER stop being a MOM! Hold the bottle for the poor little guy and get over yourself.
    Anonymous

• I had this problem with my DD. She wouldn't do it either. I think it was too hard for her to comfortably hold. I switched her to the no-spill sippy cups with the handles and she took to it real fast.
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 12:59 PM on May. 24, 2010

• At 1 she should be moved to a sippy cup. She has always had you to hold a bottle for her so she never felt the need to. Some children are just not the independent type. So maybe try getting her a sippy cup w/ handles that she can comfortably hold.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:12 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Dear Anonymous, it actually sounds like your the one who needs to get over yourself. I'm concerned for my son and that is a whole world of difference compared to your lack of compassion.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 1:36 PM on May. 24, 2010