what age can i start potty training?

not to boast but my daughter catches on to things pretty easily and i was thinking about buying her her own potty. she is only 16 months though so is this too early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sure why not. It's a place to sit down in front of TV. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on May. 24, 2010

• My son was not even a year when my MIL decided to start putting him on the potty (without me knowing or agreeing!), but he was only in night-time pull ups by 2, and nothing before 3. As long as you can get your child to sit on their potty, you can start. It takes time, but I feel the earlier you start, the earlier they become trained!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 24, 2010

• it depends really most people will tell you about 2 or even 3 years old. But remember th eyounger you do it the more consisant you have to be on it. I started potty training my first at 12 months, but her Birthday is in April it was getting into the warmer eather so she didn't want to come in to go potty so I would only do it when we were in the house or it was rainy then when she was 18 months I started back to doing it all the time it took her a month to learn after that. So she was fully potty trained at 19 months old.

My second I was going to wait until she was 18 months to start with her, but she started keeping her diaper dry at naptime then bedtime at 12 months old so at 13 months old I decided to start and she was achually almost fully potty trained, but then she cought rotavirus so she had diarehea for 3 weeks so we had to stop until she got ride of that. We started back up at like 18 or 19 months CON
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:21 AM on May. 24, 2010

• she was fully trained by 21 months. You just have to be consistant and once you start not give up. At the beginning it is stressful until you get the hang of when they need to go. And it is easier to use undies only while at home so you can tell when they went pee so you know when to take them to the bathroom next and girls of what I hear are easier to train than boys
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:22 AM on May. 24, 2010

I also agree with this.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:24 AM on May. 24, 2010

• OP - Thank you for posting this question! I am thinking of letting my son meet a potty here soon :)
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:27 AM on May. 24, 2010

• You can try it out and see if she is a quick learner. My son at 2 decided to start using a potty/toilet on his own. We had them in the house but he prefers using the actual toilet. It has been really easy as he just decided to start using it and has ever since :) He is 2 1/2 now and fully trained during the day, not night yet. I thought it was pretty cool he just decided to do it and all I have to do is take when he wants to go :D
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:34 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Both my girls 20 months and it took no time... Good luck...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on May. 24, 2010

• This is the age my son was introduced to the potty and was fully trained around 18 months. Although he is regressing now, so be prepared for that also.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:39 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Both my girls trained early... my first had a potty at 15 months but just played on it... at 19 months we went cold-turkey to underwear and she figured it out quickly... With my second, she was asking to use the potty like her sis at 16 months and we had her in undies by 17.5... with accidents, of course, but now at 20 months she doesn't have any accidents anymore, day or night... I say go for it... Let him get used to it first, and then when you actually start, don't be too wishy-washy about it. That's my best advice... a lot of people say it's so impossible or takes forever early, but most of them also say, "so I put him back in pull-ups for awhile, yada yada yada." Sometimes it takes time but I think it's worth the little extra effort to ditch the diapers sooner rather than later. (My oldest is turning 3 and I absolutely cannot imagine her still in a diaper! )
    Anonymous