punishment for a two year old

DD wouldn't take a nap today, she wasn't really sleepy so I let her out of her room to play. She went to the table and started playing on the table where her invitations are. my DH told her to get down and she wasn't so he went and got her and put her on her tiger and told her to sit. She started to run to me and he grabbed her and told her she has to sit there for ten mins for running to mommy. I told him that's too long. She'll be two next month. So he storms out to the back, slams the door and punches something. Now he's going on a bike ride. I think DD and I are going to go out and pay bills while he's out and get some lunch. Do you think 10 mins is too long of a timeout?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They say 1 min for every year they are... so if shes 2 then 2 mins. I would say that is a bit much for a 2 year old. He needs to remember that their attention span is very short. Maybe if she was like 3-4 that amount of time would be ok (10 mins)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Her attention span isn't that long.2 minutes tops.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 24, 2010

• correct 1 min for every year that means 2 mins not 10 min.
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 11:26 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I'm with anon on this. 1 minute for every year of age. Their attention span can't understand time so a kitchen timer will also help keep the "can I get up now" at bay.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:26 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Lets start from the beginning here. First of all this was dd's nap time. So you guys are already dealing with a very tired child. When you let her up to play, she is on overdrive, hence getting up on tables and so forth. Next, the tiger timeout sounds like a big stuffed play toy. You guys are putting her on time out on a play toy. I think it would be hard for her to get the idea of time out for bad behavior sitting on a play friend. Im almost done here, lol. Your dh's reaction was one of frustration. He knows she cant sit still for 10 minutes anywhere! She runs to you for the bail out of time out.. When things are calm sit with him and discuss how long and where time outs should be. If you both get on the same page with this it will make it a lot easier for all of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I think your DH needs a time out lol' 10 minutes is too long for a 2 y/o...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I don't punishment is necessary for anyone and certainly not useful or good for a 2 year old.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:35 AM on May. 24, 2010

• 2 min for every year the are old. 10 min for a 2 yr old is insane. His having a fit and punching something is emotional abuse. You need to put your foot down and protect your child now. Not only is 10 min to long for a 2 yr old, but you shouldn't be punishing your child for running to mommy. That's cruel and sends a very confusing message.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:38 AM on May. 24, 2010

• OP here- I told him the 1 min for every year. he said he doesn't care. As for her naps, she is in daycare twice a week and doesn't nap until 12:30/1, at home she naps around 10/11. so its a change for her. she just got out of a growth stage and was napping for like 4 hours. I know a long time but we figured she needed it (we just got her 2t shirts 2 weeks ago and now she's in a 3t). DH put her on her rocking tiger because she sits on it when she is sleepy and watches mickey mouse on it. he figured if she can sit on it to watch the show she can sit on it for 10 mins for time out.

Here it is an hour and a half later and he isn't home. DD and I went to pay bills and got some lunch.
    Anonymous

• op again- I wanted to add that DH got mad because I corrected him in front of DD. But i felt 10 mins was way too long!! If this helps he was deployed for a year and got back a few months ago. she DD is used to me.
    Anonymous