Occupational therapy for communication and eating...

Has anyone else gone through this with their toddler and if so what did it entail? Details please.

momtoblake

Asked by momtoblake at 11:16 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to work for an early invervention program. If you give more specifics I can probably answer your questions
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:32 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I was just wondering what the activities were like that were done in occupational therapy. How exactly do they work on communication and eating? I'm wondering what I can do at home to help my son.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 12:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

• how old is your son? does he have a diagnosis of anything? where are you recieving your services?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:31 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My son is just a little over one. His diagnosis was eating issues and communication concerns. He isn't receiving any treatment as of yet because I still haven't received a call back from those who would provide services. It has been almost a week since I made a phone call for the referral. I haven't gone to one appointment for him yet which is why I'm trying to get information on what they will do when he does go in for occupational therapy.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 1:38 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I'm curious what type of communication issues they could have with a one year old?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:48 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I'm not really sure. They gave me a questionnaire at the doctors office which had about 6 items they considered to be related to social skills. I answered all of them as "not yet". The doctor wrote down her concerns and communication was one of them. My son really doesn't talk much. He babbles maybe 5% of the day and is a very quiet child. He does know how to say mama but I don't think he knows what it means yet. I'm not sure how they will deal with this when I eventually take him in for therapy.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 2:08 PM on May. 24, 2010

• it sounds like you filled out an ages and stages, which is a great screening tool, but is not the end all, be all. I'm frankly SHOCKED that your ped recommended therapy based on a screening tool... for language skills of a one year old. I'm not quite sure what to tell you, but I would think recommending therapy based on that is WAY out of line, and probably has you scared to death
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:12 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Well I thank you for the reassurance. I am a bit scared for my son. I surely don't want him to be without skills that he will need through the development of his life. I hope that all will be well but will go through therapy as requested just to make sure he is ok. It sounds like your not thinking he needs therapy or that it may be too soon to tell which makes me feel better. I hope that ends up being the case.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 3:30 PM on May. 24, 2010

• feel free to PM me if you have any questions
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:38 PM on May. 24, 2010

• My daughter gets OT and feeding therapy. But she has some pretty serious disabilities and had feeding issues from the beginning.

We make feeding time fun. They have different little "tools" that you can use to stimulate the palate. A little brush, I think it's made by Nuk, that we roll over her tongue and press on her cheeks. I do things to encourage her to play with her tongue (for us a damp cloth makes her stick out her tongue). As for speech, there's not much we're doing there yet, we're mostly working on feeding issues. She's 21 months and only makes a "ma-ma" sound. Didn't start doing that until about 16 months. Never cooed much and never babbled. She doesn't make any other sounds. But like I said, she has other issues as well (can't crawl, stand or walk).

What feeding issues does your 1 year old have? Maybe I can make some suggestions.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:49 AM on May. 25, 2010