Has your child had a temp of 105 or higher?

My son is 10 1/2 months and woke up with a 105 temp yesterday. We took him to the er and the doc there said that it was some sort of viral infection that just needs to run its course. He said the high fever was nothing to worry about just keep him full of ibuprophin to keep it down. This morning he woke up with 104 temp. I just cant see how this high of a fever isnt a big deal. He sleeps ALOT and just lays around all day. Just curious to see if anyone elses child this young has had a fever that high. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes when my dd was an infant she had a temp of 104 and the e didnt really do much either, they suggested switching off between motrin and tylenol every 4 hours but with the recalls i dont know about that right now! but my mom is a nurse and she always said i a baby had a temp that high then to put them in a tub of lukewarm water to keep it from rising, so put that baby in some cool(little warm) water and see if it helps cool him down, also make sure you give plenty of water and juice
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:48 AM on May. 24, 2010

• That's a big deal regardless of age. Anything over 103, even for an adult, is a high fever and warrants at least a call to the doctor. And with the lethargy in addition to the fever, that definitely sounds worrisome. Have you spoken to his regular doctor? I would call and make an appointment to be seen as soon as possible and see what they say. If it is indeed "just" a virus (which is very possible), there's probably not much you can do about it, but the doc should at least be able to tell you what you can do to keep your son comfortable and what signs to watch out for saying that you need to take him back to the ER immediately. Good luck
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:50 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Get that poor baby to your regular doctor, ASAP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on May. 24, 2010

• If my kiddo (at ANY age) was 102.5 or higher I head to the clinic (if open) or ER. I am too nervous/high strung to deal with a very high fever w/out having them checked out 1st. Once I know nothing serious is wrong I do the cool baths, fluids, motrin, etc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:29 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I say that the dr is an idiot! Please get a second opinion! =)
    Anonymous

• why do you think there is any difference between a fever of 101, 102.5, 103 and 105? organ damage won't occur until 107.6.
    if there is no reason to suspect anything other than a virus or bacteria, then the dr. did nothing wrong. if your child has hyperthermia, neorological damage or an autoimmune disease, then there is a reason to question the dr. personally, i think suppressing the fever with fever reducers will only allow the virus or bacteria to persist longer.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:56 PM on May. 24, 2010