Hamster or guinea pig? Which one to buy for my daughter?

My daughter's 7th birthday is coming up and she really wants a hamster or guinea pig. I've heard guineau pigs stink. Do hamsters? If you were to go out of town for a weenend are they going to okay if not feed daily. We want a pet that doesn't require a lot of maintenance.

MWood123

Asked by MWood123 at 11:44 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Pets

• guninea pigs make a LOT of noise
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:47 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Both smell. How bout a fish?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on May. 24, 2010

• Guinea pigs do make a lot of noise when they are bored but are pretty lovable, hamsters bite more often if not handled A LOT when you first get them. I would go for a guinea pig or a rat, rats are sweet and not much work, but like any one of them needs to be handled often when you first get them. All of them smell if you don't keep their cages clean, and you can leave them with water and food for a weekend if you want. I have had every sort of little animal so pm if you'd like.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:51 AM on May. 24, 2010

• we just got a guinea pig last night and so far we love him. I've had hampsters before and hated them. They are escape artist and pretty much damaged my house by flooding my kitchen (they bit a hole in my hose to my dish washer) ..anyways, this little guy we got last night is really friendly and seems to be a lot more social than any hampster. They did say they are a little high maintenance though. You have to give them lots of attention or else they will cry and squill, you have to let them out of their living area for excersize dailey because they cannot have a ball or a wheel because of their backbone. Also they have to have vitamin c so you have to either give them tablets or buy oranges or something. We even bought a little harness to take him on walks. We chose the perfect one because he was just so friendly and lovey. The other ones were very skittish. Hope you can find a good pet =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:57 AM on May. 24, 2010

• oh, i forgot to mention our cats even like him!! He is not afraid of them at all either...it is so cool
    shay1130

• You might find yourself in the following scenario: The kids are constantly begging for a pet. Dogs are too large, birds are too noisy, you are allergic to cats, and reptiles scare your significant other. You suggest fish, but the kids insist on something furry that they can hold. You decide to compromise and agree to get a ‘pocket pet’. But which one should you choose? Which one is best with children? What about care, housing and nutrition? Below is a comparison of the most popular small pets in the pet industry today.
    Anonymous

• Hamsters are one of the most popular pets because they are small, adorable and do not have the long tail like mice and rats. The hamster is a nocturnal animal, which means it is most active at night. They are solitary rodents with a lifespan of 2 to 3 years. They come in many types, such the Teddy bear and Chinese, with the most common being the Golden (or Syrian) type.Housing two or more adult hamsters together will always result in fights, regardless of sex.

Despite their popularity, hamsters may not make the best pets for young children. They have a tendency to bite more than other small rodents and are less interactive. When compared with other small rodents, they are more difficult to train and do not have a tendency to form close bonds with their owners.
    Anonymous

• Guinea pigs are strict herbivores, meaning they only eat vegetables. They are very susceptible to vitamin C deficiency, so proper feeding is important. They can be fed guinea pig pellets, timothy hay, or alfalfa. Supplement daily with green leafy vegetables such as kale, lettuce, or carrots for vitamin C. If you purchase pellets, check the milling date on the bag. It should not be greater than 3 months ago because pelleted foods will loose their vitamins as they sit on the shelves.

When compared to hamsters, guinea pigs are more interactive and can learn to recognize family members. They may make squeaky noises to express themselves and they love attention. They are docile, gentle animals that rarely bite or scratch, making it a very ideal pet for small children.
    Anonymous

• I say hamster. Guinea pigs are a lot of work and can live for up to 8 years. They are not ideal pets for kids regardless of what people say. They need a specialized diet and a ton of room (even though the pet store will tell you otherwise) Hamsters are easy and require far less maintenence.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:27 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Why would you want a pet that only lived 3 yrs? So you could hear your child cry over it? *rolling eyes*
    Anonymous