why is it dangerous to have a pet guinea pig if you are pregnant?

i was just reading that people who want to become pregnant shouldnt have a guinea pig as a pet..we just got my son one yesterday. Is it really that dangerous and why?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 11:50 AM on May. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• just don't let it scratch you they can carry salminila under their nails.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't see why. But there is a lot of things during and prior to a pregnancy people say you can't do and stuff that i think is crazy. But I will say we use to have roommates about 3 years ago who had a cat and two dogs and we were ttc and we couldn't but as soon as we moved out I got pregnant. They had other roommates after us 2 different times. The same happened to both of them. That couple has been ttc for years and hasn't been able to. IMO it has to with the kitty litter box (that is hardly changed) and the dogs they have that they let pee and poop everywhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 24, 2010

• yeah, i was thinking something to do with the litter..kinda like cats.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:00 PM on May. 24, 2010