abortion question...

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/103344/abortion_catholic_hospitals_excommunicated_nuns?result=comment_added&success=1#comments

I'm pro life. or I guess closer to what grly says, in respect to the Hyde ammendment.

here's the basics:
woman, eleven weeks pregnant and experiencing heart failure, is told by a Catholic hospital she must abort her baby or die. The kicker is, the Catholic religion doesn't allow abortions. So a nun makes the ultimate call, and allows for the abortion. Instant excommunication for her.

To me, right call on the part of the nun. Save the life of the mother of four, as the baby would die if she dies anyway. The loss of two lives is stupid when you could save one.

What do you Catholic girls think? and you prolife girls?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:00 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So because I am technically Catholic so I called up my Grandmother about this one. She said that it originates with early Church Doctrine (Dogma to me) that says doctors aren't always correct and to end the life of the child was deciding as if you were God. However, my staunchly Catholic Grandma said that the nun, although excommunicated could have found support in other liberal Catholics that have left the church (in case you were worried for the nun, as I was). She also added that the church is woefully behind the 8 ball in accepting that the original doctrine was dealing with realitvely new advances in medicine and not the current state of medicine. So, there you go, even the most pro life dedicated Catholic I have ever met agrees with the abortion.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:51 AM on May. 25, 2010

• http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/103344/abortion_catholic_hospitals_excommunicated_nuns?result=comment_added&success=1#comments

I have to say I've never really found myself on the leftist side of an argument before.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:01 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I am a pro life (hyde amendment) Catholic. I do not agree with the Catholic church on the everything. I dont believe ANY religion has it completely right. I align most with the church and find peace in it's ritualness that I grew up with. I think the church was wrong here. If the mother dies here so does the baby. What sense is therm to lose TWO lives :(

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:05 PM on May. 24, 2010

• OMG, SO SAD, I have 4 kids and if I were pregnant again.

What would I want??? Who would take care of my babies? If it was impossible for both of us to live I would have to have an abortion my kids only have me and there dad but they only have one mom. :( Sounds selfish, but my kids need me...

If it were a chance of both of us living, I believe God would do what is right for us. :)

That is so sad...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:08 PM on May. 24, 2010

• i was raised catholic but im not catholic anymore. im pro-choice. the obvious answer is to save the mother wether your pro-choice or pro-life ... but i dont think abortion is murder anyway.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:08 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I don't believe in abortion unless for medical reasons. I believe the nun did the right thing. I'm not catholic, but she did what she had to do and I don't think God would judge her for saving someone's life like that. The catholic church was wrong on this one.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I suppose the right call was made and the nun is a brave soul.

Being pro life myself I hope they called in the best cardiac surgeons available for a million consults. Was there not another way? A medically induced coma til the baby was viable and a pacemaker, heart/lung machine, etc etc etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:26 PM on May. 24, 2010

• Being that I am NOT Catholic can some1 please explain to me the Church's position on this? I mean.... they knew the baby will die anyway, when the Mom dies of heart failure. Then it's 2 dead people instead.... I don't understand the reasoning
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:27 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I'm "technically" Catholic and I am pro choice. Nun was right. Both mother and child would have died without the abortion.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:12 PM on May. 24, 2010

• I read this story when it first came out... Being a member of all the pro-choice groups and whatnot this was a huge story for many of my friends and groups. I can totally understand the reasons why the Catholic faith disagrees with abortion. On the other hand, I feel that even if God had this choice to make, he would make the same choice this nun did.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:42 PM on May. 24, 2010