Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if my mother reports my sister to cps will my neice go into the foster system or will my mother be able to keep her?

my neice has been living with my mother. My sister has been running around doing meth and prostituting her body and who knows what and my mom can't ever get in touch with her. My mom is just finally fed up with her. She was letting my sister get away with leaving the baby there but when she found out about the meth she got mad. So if my mom reports my sister to cps will they come and take my neice away from my mom or will they still leave her in my mothers care? Basically my mom wants to take custody of my neice. She is afraid that my sister may come over in one of her highs and take the baby and hurt her. What will happen?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on May. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (12)
  • most of the time if there is a suitable relative then she can placed with grandma

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:11 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • Call CPS ananymously to see what she needs to do to make sure the baby stays with her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • Grandma should follow through on getting custody of grandd, Tell her to start the process now, before she reports dd to cps, That way when cps comes calling the ball has already been set in motion.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • What you would have to do is go to court and say you would like custody of her grand kid, because the mother abandoned her-speak to someone first and tell them why. Say she has not seen her in weeks, don't call cps they might have to take the baby and put the baby in foster care until grandma can get the baby back.

    Sounds like a sad situation but better grandma taking care of the baby then a stranger is what I say.

    Answer by KFree907 at 12:16 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • can my mom just go into court and ask or will she need a lawyer. I know nothing about this stuff. I've never even been inside a court room.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • I think if there is a competent relative, then yes. The state will give your sister the opportunity to take parenting classes and get clean so that she can get the baby back.

    Answer by lowencope at 12:21 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • This doesn't really sound like an issue for CPS, especially if she is already living with your mom. She is not in danger. I would tell he rto get a lawyer and then go to court to try and get temporary custody. Leave CPS out of it, they do not handle custody cases and calling them could make it worse for your neice and your mom, trust me.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • No, they will not. I have a lot of experience w/ this, as my sister is a meth addict. Unless she is caught or arrested with drugs, CPS has no proof that she's harming her kids. You can call them, give an anonymous tip and they will go to her house and look around. Unless there is evidence that the kids are underfed or being beaten, they will not take them. Drugs are not a reason to take a kid away, CPS will tell you that. I think your Mom needs to go to the family courts and file a petition. Then an investigation will be launched on your sister. But, don't be so sure they will take the kids away. I've called them on my sister and they did not take her kids awya. There was no proof. If your mom knows for sure your sister is doing drugs or catches her in the act, she should call the cops right away and they will send CPS over and her kid will get taken away. Then your mom can get custody.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • It's best to get a lawyer. Custody cases are based on "preponderance of the evidence" which means what is most likely the truth. Also, each state has statutes in place and they are often different in each state. Most of the statues favor a mother's rights over the rights of other custodial family members.

    Your mom will need evidence. She needs to document how long she has been taking care of the baby, how often the birth mother sees the baby, financials on the birth mother, any criminal history of the birth mother (or history of drug addiction), etc.

    Answer by ecodani at 12:26 PM on May. 24, 2010

  • this sounds horrible and for this reason I am responding anon... but my best friends mom offered her son (best friends brother) a $1000 to sign over custody of his daughter. And he did. She has had her granddaughter for 8 years now. She has a bit of emotionally scarring from seeing what she saw from the time she was bouncing around between the realitives and her dad, but generally a happy, healthy, functioning 12 yr old. She probably only on an 8 yr old level maturity wise, but that is directly related to the first 4 years of her life. Its like she started growing and maturing from the time she had a stable home instead of from birth... if that makes sense.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on May. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.