If I have 3 carpenters making me a carport and they told me they were going to be done in 3 days but its already been 10 days and there still not done should I pay them what they're asking for or should I lower the price?

How much should I lower the price? If they're charging 800 of labor? Plus days they wouldn't show up and our wood was warping with the rain and the sun. Also they ordered extra cement bags that weren't going to be used so we had to waste our own gas making two trips in returning them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Did you sign a contract with them? Was there a guarenteed time frame involved? If there is, then you could take them to court for a breech in the contract. If you pay them less and there is a binding contract, they could take you to court. If you have a contract read it over carefully
    Anonymous

• There's no contract involved.
    Anonymous

• You didnt sign anything at all? Ok, then pay them what you feel is fair. No contract, no court
    Anonymous

• That sucks that you will be paying them less.. They have been working for days longer then expected. I guess next time they will need to bid the job higher because they will know the job is going to take longer.
    Anonymous

• You need to pay them the quoted price. You can argue the labor cost if they try to bill you higher. But have you asked why it's taking them so long? Maybe someone has been sick, or a spouse or child has been sick, or something that is truly keeping them from working on your project? Don't just say you're going to stiff them the cost. They can just as easily turn the tables on you and sue you for the bill if you don't at least talk about it.
    Anonymous

• They are taking longer because there was 6 days they didn't show up cuz they put our carport last and they kept and stalling and stalling and showing up till 7 at night instead of 8 in the morning thats the reason why they took longer. If they would of been responsible they would of shown up 3 days straight at 8 in the morning and they would of been done by now, but since they kept on slacking off thats why they took longer cuz they were tons of days they didn't show up.
    Anonymous

• They would put other jobs before us and I told my husband then why the heck do they pass flyers and cards that they do carpentry if they're not going to dedicate themselves to it, they put there other gardening jobs first and I think it should be first come first serve, we hired them first so they should stick to doing our job first but nooo they go into other jobs that come all of a sudden and leave ours for last and the wood messes up. They were pressuring us to get the material fast cuz they wanted to get started already and so we bought it when they told us too and wasted 1,500 on material then they slack off.
    Anonymous

• If they have better paying jobs, as in bigger jobs and are going to make more money there, of course they are going to put those jobs ahead of yours. So were they really slacking off or working at other jobs? If it is raining can they work on a carport outside? Next time you get work done ask for a contract, ask if they have insurance. In PA where we live the contractors have to have a number proving that they registered with the state. Doesn't sound like you checked these guys out. $800 in labor is really cheap for a carport especially if it was to pay 3 guys for 3 days of labor. If it was my dh, just his labor would have been $840 for three days plus labor for his helper. You get what you pay for.
    Anonymous

• Well this is my third carport and when I had my other two built some other carpenters charged me 600 for labor, and they finished it in 3 days! and that was two years ago, they did a great job and never put my job behind. These men put theyre gardening work ahead of mine and there getting paid alot less with gardening but I'm assuming since its easier they put it first. All 3 men didn't come the same days, which means only one is going to get paid more than the other two well he'll be incharge of splitting it but I don't think hes going to pay so much to his workers as to what hes getting thats why he didn't make them come the other days with him.
    Anonymous

• I think you should pay them what you originally agreed too. No more. No less.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on May. 25, 2010