how can I get my toddler to nap away from home?

I am fortunate enough to be a full time nanny for a wonderful family. They are so wonderful that they let me bring along my 18 month old to be with me during the day. My problem is this... DS will only nap in a reclining high chair (they have the same one he has at home). My son is too big to be in a crib to nap ( he climbs out) We have successfully transitioned him to a toddler bed at home for night time sleep. But during the day at this house, there doesn't seem to be a great place for him to nap. The baby's room (she is 8 months) has too many toys and books for him to NOT pay attention to, and the older boys' room has all kinds of trophies/breakable items so he cannot sleep in there either... any suggestions on getting him to nap? Or is the high chair and the stroller (on nice weather days) sufficient until he is older and can understand better?

TSJEN

Asked by TSJEN at 12:31 PM on May. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would get him a special sleeping bag or nap mat (they market them to preschoolers for school naps). You may want to try getting him to nap in that at home and at the other family's home. You'll have better luck if almost everything can be consistent (same place for a nap, and same ritual, as at home). Even if he thinks he doesn't want to sleep, you can have him have quiet time on his mat (look at a book, hold a stuffed animal)... Can he sleep on the floor in the parents' bedroom or a guest room or something? Someplace you can make dark and with a door that shuts? I think just letting things go and waiting till he's older and understands better is a recipe for disaster... the best reason for kids to not fight the nap is because they've always had the routine of it! Any major breaks in that, and they're not likely to want to comply later on... Good luck, sounds like a tough situation.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:00 PM on May. 24, 2010